- I haven't had much time to write this week as I'm up to my ears in fish...yes, seriously. One of the events I plan for my job is the Annual Fishing Derby, which is tomorrow, so I've been busy getting ready for that. Probably my least favorite event as I don't fish, I have to personally handle thousands of fish (we stock the river) and it requires me being at work at 6:15 am on a Saturday (I'd rather be running).
- I've had some really good workouts this week. Yesterday I ran with my run group and did my first speed workout in about a month...and, it went great. I wasn't sucking wind as much as I expected, and it's nice to know my legs are still capable of running fast. And, without pain, thank god.
- Went out to the lake last night for my first open water swim of the year. Despite my ever present fear of getting bit by snakes, I love love love open water swimming. Like a million times more than swimming in a pool. The lake felt awesome - we're at the time of year when the water is still refreshing as opposed to feeling like a bath tub (that's coming - it's going to be a hot summer).
- Speaking of swimming, FINALLY I am getting faster. Mind you, my fast is most people's slow, but I am improving. In the past two weeks, I've dropped 5-7 seconds off of my hundred times. Seconds aren't a lot in running, but they are in swimming, so I am pumped. I am not sure what to attribute my improvement too - maybe because I am actually working hard in the pool as opposed to lazily swimming laps (I started doing my intervals on the clock which makes me work harder), maybe because I'm swimming more or maybe I'm just getting stronger from the 10 zillion planks I do on a weekly basis. I don't know. Hopefully my improvement is not short lived.
- I've been biking, too, mostly on my trainer doing the Spinverals workouts. Not as much as I need to be biking in preparation for my half-ironman in June, but I usually half-ass train on my bike so that's nothing new.
- The Kentucky Derby is this weekend and it always brings back memories of my 2 years living in Louisville. Derby weekend is nothing but one big party, and the year I went to the Derby I think I slept like 2 hours all weekend. Unfortunately, I did not see one horse race at the Derby but saw a lot of other crazy things and learned I don't like Mint Julips.
- This weekend's workouts will include a ridiculously early trainer sesh on my bike tomorrow morning, and a long outdoor ride on Sunday, followed by a short run. And, probably an open water swim or two.
- The AC in my car isn't working and it's in the 90's here which makes for a hot commute. Anyone want a piece of shit Honda Civic? I'll give you a good deal.
- I'm reading this dog memoir book written by Dean Koontz about his golden retriever and it's made me cry like every time I pick it up. I don't know why I am such a sap when it comes to dogs and dog books, but I am going to have some serious issues when my dogs pass. I hope they live forever.