Thursday, June 25, 2009

Taper

I'm doing my second half-ironman this Sunday - Buffalo Springs in Lubbock. It's known for it's grueling hilly course, hot temps and zero shade. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty freaked out. I should have been tapering (very few workouts at easy pace) all week. For some reason, I always have trouble with the taper. I never really have been able to let myself taper for any race, which ultimately has to hinder my performance. I get in such a routine of training every day, several times a day, that it is hard for my to back off. I'm pretty sure my obsessive, type A personality has something to do with it. I fear that because I haven't backed off this week like I should, I'm going to go into Sunday's race feeling tired and achy.

I have done all of my runs this week at a recovery pace - so, no speedwork - so that's good. But, I've still run 5-8 miles every morning and then swam at lunch. Dang you running for being so addicting!!

Today is Thursday...race is Sunday...I need my husband to hide my running shoes from me for the next 2 days so I won't be tempted...

We're headed out to LBK in the morning. Race report to follow on Monday, providing I survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment