I admit, I wasn’t always a fan of giving trail running a shot. Until recently, my shoes and I would prefer to hang out with “Road”. “Road” was safer, easier and although it could get monotonous, it allowed me to go out and get the exercise and training I needed.
I was always a little apprehensive about trying trail running. People cautioned me; stay away from trail running. Trail running can hurt you. Think of the rocks, the twigs, the acorns. How could you avoid all of the potential dangers? I ignored the protests and recommendations and I tried it. Trail Running. As soon as I ventured out on the gravel and bark covered paths, I knew this was something that I would do again. Even though the paths tried to trip me up and bring me to my knees yesterday, I will be back.
I love the way the gravel crunches beneath me. I love the way the trail makes me dance through the tree’s and bushes. I love the beauty as the sunlight shines through the leaves. I love the way it challenges me on so many different levels. I have to be strong to run on the trail. I have to be limitless in my energy. I need to keep my attention focused on the trail the entire time; it challenges my brain. I need to constantly think of the best path with trail running and I need to do it quickly and I need to do it right. It forces me to work all of myself.
While I'll still be hanging out with "Road" quite a bit, I've found a new friend in the trail.
Below are some photos from yesterday's run:




What people should have been telling you is that trail running is good for balance, and thus good for your road-racing. I need to start doing more of it myself.
ReplyDelete