Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bearathon

Drove to Waco this morning for the Bearathon Half Marathon at Baylor. They advertise this marathon as the "Toughest Half-Marathon in Texas" and that's the damn truth. I didn't think there was any way this race would be harder than Decker, but it has just as many long, steep rollers, if not more, and with the heat and humidity, it takes the cake. Plus, I measured the course looong (.3 long) so it just gives me something else to bitch about.

My Garmin had me at 1:35:03/13.38 miles/7:05 pace. Not my best time, but on that course, I'm pretty pleased. Sadly, I did not win money today. As Dan says, still no return on investment in this sport. I came close though...I was 5th woman with money going to the top 3 overall women and the top 3 masters. One of the ladies who finished in front of me was a masters runner, so that bumped me up to 4th...not good enough for some moola, but I did come home with this:I was really impressed with how organized this race was. It's put on my students - the Student Foundation at Baylor - and all the money goes towards scholarships. The entry fee is very reasonable, everyone receives a nice finishers medal and a tech shirt, they have bands, chip timing and a nice catered spread afterwards. My only suggestion would be to move the start time up to 7:00 am due to the heat. 8:00 am is a little late and it got pretty hot/humid out there.

I'll be back. And, next time I'm bringing home some money, darnit!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a stud! Love your mentality and dedication and thought process on the diet :)

    ReplyDelete