What's up? And, Happy belated New Year!
I've been a bit (okay, a lot) out of sorts lately. Right now, I am sitting here typing this after being sent home from work with what I feel like is the bubonic plague. I also haven't run in 4 days.
But, let me back up. I had planned to enjoy the holidays (which I did immensely as my now almost too small pants clearly indicate). My plan was to enjoy the holidays and then jump into a serious Spring Marathon training cycle for either the Eugene or Louisville marathon. I was so serious about this in fact, I even planned to hire a coach. I KNOW. Who am I? Went through the whole process of researching, interviewing, etc. I picked one who I thought would be a good fit me, and I was ready to go!
Insert hiccup #1. My heart was ready to go, my body, not so much. As I tried to get back into running, something was off. I've had the sciatic nerve/left leg hip issue on and off throughout all of 2012 (as everyone knows) but this time it was back and had spread to both legs and both hips. And then to my lower back. Wonderful. Radiating pain after I ran and the leg lock feeling when I ran more than 6 miles. My hips were really sore even to the touch. So, I would rest a few days, then run again. I would be fine for a few days then the whole process would repeat itself. After every run, I would have to come home, stretch for a good 20 minutes, use my rumble roller then proceed to continue to roll out with my marathon stick. It was quite the process, which was only yielding marginal results. After about 2 weeks of this, I decided to nix both hiring a running coach and Eugene/Louisville. I know in my heart right now, I am not at 100% (or really even close) and that trying to push through a training plan meant to start immediately would only cause frustration. Not to mention all of the cost involved.
Since then, I've been feeling a little lost. I researched late Spring Marathons (late May) and found a few (that would all be really expensive with travel, etc) but for now I'm just at a cross roads. And, who knows when I'll be ready to take on a challenging training load again. I know I don't have to do a Spring Marathon. I can wait until October and run Baltimore again. I guess I'm just worried that without a big goal (which I guess I define as a fast marathon) that I just won't have any motivation to train and in turn eat bon bons and get fat (dramatic, I know). For some reason, I always feel like I always need to be training for something. Always in search of the next best thing, and I don't seem to have any patience in wanting to obtain said thing.
Anyway, after some pity parties for one, some emotional eating and admittedly some tears of frustration when I questioned whether this damn leg issue will ever go away, I decided to get over myself (because let's be honest things could be MUCH worse) and get back to training with what I CAN do - which, is swimming, biking and strength training.
I was ready to hit it full force. Become BFF's with cross training. Ordered new swim suits, new festive suits and some pool toys (resistance bands, not floaties). I swam twice before this bubonic plague hit (nasty cough/sore throat/congestion/fever) and am now back to the couch (in my fat pants). Sidelined again, dagnamit.
So, it seems like 2013 is off to a similar start that 2012 was. But, as my husband reminded me, 2012 didn't end so bad for me at all after a rough start. In fact, it ended pretty darn well. Maybe I just need to get this crap out of the way and move no to bigger and better things. It will be alright. It always is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your husband is absolutely right. You are doing the right thing for your body and mind -- you need to heal your body and get better so that we can see you cross the finish line as 1st female. No pressure.
ReplyDeleteI like your thinking though -- lots of running in the pool, swimming, biking, strength. Quick story. I have a girlfriend (she's about 45 now) that has a hip problems like you wouldn't believe. Does lots of marathons, did two IMs, (oh and once got hit by a car while riding her bike, but that's another story for another day). Anyway, back in 2008, she had a bad injury. She was signed up for Chicago and wanted to BQ -- Chicago was in 10 weeks. Her doctor told her no way -- she can't run for 8 weeks. So she ran in the pool for 8 weeks, the last two weeks she took in on the pavement and guess what? She ran BQ-ed for Boston in Chicago like she planned and went on to run 10 other marathons that year including London, NYC, etc. So I am positive that if you continue your cross training, you'll still be doing amazing things!! :-)
Sorry that was long, but I hope it made you feel better -- well, I know you're on the couch sick, so not that kind of better. LOL Though I do hope that you get 100% better STAT!!!!
Sending you some positive thoughts and well wishes to a speedy recovery on both accounts. XO
Thank you for sharing your friend's story - that is inspiring and just what I needed to hear this morning to lift my spirits. In all honesty, I think getting sick was somewhat of a blessing in disguise as it forced me to rest completely for a few days allowing my body and mind to recover. I do feel lucky that I have cross training to fall back on and hope I can come back even stronger :) As always, thanks for your kind words :) Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better, Erin. :-) Have a wonderful weekend.
DeleteErin, hate to hear you are injured but hopefully the rest and cross training will have you good to go eventually this spring. You are always great at keeping up your fitness when not able to run, something many runners struggle to do. good luck in the recovery and healing process and before you know it you'll be toeing the line again
ReplyDeleteThanks, Steve! And, thanks again for the coaching info. I look forward to working with Caleb once I get healthy :)
DeleteYour start sounds about like mine...I've been sick for a week now and haven't worked out in just as much! I hope you get better soon and I know you will get back into it soon. And I totally understand always feeling like you need to train for something, I feel lost if I don't have something on my radar!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you're sick too - it's no fun. I'm just trying to remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you feel better soon!
DeleteI hope you are feeling better Erin!
ReplyDelete