Monday, February 4, 2013

MIA

Uh, hello? It's been awhile. Not that anyone has been sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to read my ramblings, but I'll explain my absence anyway. I've been on what I call an extended off season.

January is always my busiest month at work as I am the race director for an event the first weekend in February (it's done now, hooray!). I started off the year injured, then got sick and missed several days of work, got back to work and was slammed and behind the eight ball preparing for said event this past weekend and just didn't have (make) time to blog or read blogs.

To be honest, I don't have much to write about on the running front anyway. I've not been doing much spectacular on the running front lately, and in actuality most of my running has been quite lackluster. I put together a string of about a week and a half of decent training, but only managed to workout 3 times last week for a whopping total of 20 miles. I think I mentioned before that I decided to pull the plug on a Spring Marathon in early January when my hip issue began flaring up again. As bummed as I was initially about not chasing down a PR this Spring, I honestly think it was a blessing in disguise. With injury + sickness + work, I would have really stressed myself out trying to stick to an aggressive training plan. But without anything on the horizon, if I missed a workout or 3, it's no big deal.

The weird thing is that I really haven't missed training for something big. I guess after being go-go-go for years, my mind and body has enjoyed the break. It's been really nice to do whatever workout I feel like doing (or not doing) for the day. It's been nice to stay up later, sleep in when I feel like it, and spend more time saying "yes" to invitations that I would normally turn down because I need to be to bed early for a big workout in the morning. There were times when I would start to feel guilty (and bemoan because my pants are fitting tighter) but I always reminded myself that I would get back to training when the time was right, and when I was ready. On my terms. As much as I've loved not really training, I know there will come a point where it gets old, I get bored, feel like a fat & lazy slob, and a fire will light under my ass and get me excited again about chasing down a big goal. I am not quite at that point yet, but I know it will come.

So, for now, I'm coining one of my husband's favorite sayings when I ask him what his running goals are:
"My goal is not to have any goals." There you have it folks; my goal for Spring.

9 comments:

  1. I seriously was just thinking, "Hmm...I haven't read anything from Erin for awhile..." Weird. I am glad you are getting some chill time in. We all deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nice. I think I was overdue for a real break :) Hope your training is going well !

      Delete
  2. 20 miles!?
    wow...in a good way...I think it's good you are taking a break! You deserve it...enjoy it, because I am sure that fire under your ass you will be coming soon and then it's back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I am sure it will come back just in time for the summer heat wave!

      Delete
  3. being able to be at peace and actually enjoying time off is probably the best case scenario.
    I'll bet this downtime will pay off for you, too!
    I recently started working with a race management company and know the struggle to put on a good race AND find time to actually race. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I am hoping it will pay off! You're so right - it's really hard to put on a good race and still make time to train on your own. Especially race week. All of my intentions of working out last week pretty much went right out the window. It happens every year this time. You would think I would adjust my expectations by now. Hope you are enjoying your new job!

      Delete
  4. Excuse me, but I have been coming to your page on a daily (except the last two as I've been busy) waiting for some type of update!!!! But I get it. You've been so busy with the racing event and work! I know you'll be back out there pounding out the pavement in no time. You should remind yourself of last year and how you pulled amazing stunts in the fall. :-)

    Anyway, thanks for posting something new. I always enjoy reading what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet! I'm getting back out there....slowly but surely. Right now I'll just live vicariously through your marathon training :)

      Delete