Monday, February 11, 2013

Words to Live By

Lately, my feelings towards running can summed up by the Tweet below. For me, frustration with my running has led to lack of motivation, which leads to more frustration - and the vicious cycle continues. In an effort to dig myself out of my pity party hole, I've been doing a lot of inspirational reading, hoping to get struck by the motivational genie. And, finally I came across some words that struck a cord.




"I want to challenge anyone who's had an injury to remain hungry. I know your pain. I've been there. Stay focused. Surround yourself with positive people. Work as hard as possible and picture where you want to be, not where you are. Who cares how good you were before the injury. Work to be better. Don't get discouraged. Control the things you can control. Pick up your bible and keep the faith. Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it. Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy. Stay strong. I did it. I never looked back. You can too." -Jordan Burroughs, Olympic Wrestler

A-freaking-Men. Belief starts from within.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You and me both! Tried to remember those words on my run this morning :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE - "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it." Awesome! Keep at it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Hope your marathon training is going well!

      Delete
  3. It's so good to hear from you and know you haven't given up. Very inspiring! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid! Thank you for your note - it is great to hear from you as well! Looking forward to seeing you at some Austin races :)

      Delete
  4. You pretty much nailed it! I felt this exact way post-pregnancy. I was so discouraged and could not get back to my old self. But I remained patient and then realized, I need to work hard at it.

    I have no doubt that you'll be back to kicking ass and doing amazing things. I'm looking forward to witnessing some of your future races -- no pressure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right - patience is the key. I am probably one of the most impatient people on the planet, so it's been a mental battle for me. I am finally seeing small signs of improvement this week, and I'll take them when I can get them! Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Hi theгe! This iѕ my first visіt to youг
    blog! We are a tеam of volunteегs аnd ѕtarting a new prоjeсt in
    a communіty in the same niche. Yοuг blog provided us useful informatіon to work
    on. You have dοne a maгvellοus job!

    Fеel freе to visit my ѕitе; xfire.com

    ReplyDelete