Monday, March 11, 2013

Racing Again...

Yesterday I ran a 10k - my first race in a loooong time. Which is really unusual for me since it's not uncommon for me to race almost every weekend, even twice in one weekend. But, for some reason, I have not wanted to race at all lately, including yesterday.

Actually, I can't honestly say "for some reason" because I very well know the reason: I was scared. I was scared of running a time I wasn't proud of. I was scared of embarrassing myself. I was scared of getting my butt kicked. And, I was scared to push myself to the limit and make it hurt. I lack the ability to show up at a race and just "run for fun" which results in putting a lot of pressure on myself every time I toe the start line. I don't just want to run a race, I want to run it fast.

I had started to psyche myself out early in the week. When the weather forecast was calling for rain on race day, I had told myself I would just bail on the race all together and use the weather as an excuse. I had a 24 hour stomach bug on Wednesday, and although I was feeling perfectly fine by Friday, I told myself I probably shouldn't race on Sunday because it would be bad for my health. I was making all kinds of excuses for myself not to run the race.

Finally, I put on my big girl pants, sucked it up and went to the race. I had a lot of friends running, the race director is a good friend of mine and the race was for a great cause - I needed to get over my ego and get my ass out there to support this event. If I got beat, I got beat. If I ran like crap or ran a personal worst, then so be it. But, I'd never know if I didn't at least try.

I made the decision to race without my Garmin or watch. I knew I would mentally start to check out of the race if I was seeing numbers I didn't like on my Garmin, so instead I would just run by feel.

And, you know what? I didn't run half bad. I actually wasn't too far off my 10k PR, and ran about a minute faster than I did at this race last year. I ended up 5th overall and first female in 41:14, and it's a legit course as far as being pretty hilly. Maybe I am not as slow as I think I am. And, I never would have known what I was capable of had I been a chicken and not gotten out there. Moral of the story: Don't let your ego get in the way; you're stronger than you think.

Racing yesterday got me excited again to start doing more of it. This Saturday I'll toe the line again at a St. Patty's Day 10k. I may have another good day, I may not. But, at least I'll get out there and try.







11 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Way to get out there and face your fears! I experience that every Friday night before my long run on Saturday mornings, haha! But I'm glad you got out there and did it - I've missed reading about your training and racing but I know you definitely deserve a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! All of the racing you have been doing lately has been really inspiring. You are killing it out there!!

      Delete
  2. You did great out there! And not bad to admit you are scared sometimes! Self doubt is normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! Really enjoyed the race and hanging out at Dale's afterwards!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome, Erin! You will smoke the course on Saturday!

    :) Meredith
    p.s. That is a cool hoodie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! Hoping it's not just a fluke!(There I go again psyching myself out - ha!). I'm looking forward to Saturday's race if nothing more for a change of scenery!

      Delete
  4. Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about
    creating my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? Appreciate it

    my blog post; 27695
    Also see my webpage :: 36245

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome race! You didn't want to show up and then you win it, I love it haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this is you from coming off an injury??? Seriously? You are my idol. I want to be just like you post-pregnancy. Congrats on placing as FIRST freaking female and 5th overall. I'd end up 5th overall out of 5 runners probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, you're faster than you think!! :) Thank you so much for the congratulatory wishes. Slowly but surely I'm trying to make my way back :)

      Delete