This week hasn't gone exactly as planned running-wise. While it was intended to be a step-back week, I didn't intend for it to become this much of a step back week. Tuesday is the only day I actually ran what I planned on running and the other days I've run about 1/4 of what I planned, and this morning, well nothing. A big fat zero.
I don't have any excuses or rhyme or reason for this, other than I simply didn't feel like running much or at all. I tend to be all or nothing with running (and training in general) - I'm either super gung ho and will go knock out a 70+ mile week or lack complete motivation and not run much at all.
When I signed up for this Spring marathon, I told myself that I would not feel guilty if I missed workouts for whatever reasons. I'm not following a training plan for this race, it's not a PR attempt, and we are not forking out a lot of money to travel for this race (it's local) so I told myself there is no reason to get all worked up if I miss a few workouts or several workouts.
Though I tell myself not to feel guilty, I've found this is easier said then done. I simply struggle with runner's guilt and feeling like OH MY GOD I am going to lose all fitness if I am skipping workouts and not putting in the miles.
Last night I stayed up way too late watching basketball. I love March Madness and will get sucked into watching the games that start well after I'm usually asleep. Originally I had planned to run 17 miles this morning since I have a work event Saturday and running is unlikely (unless I get up at 4 am - not going to happen). But by the time I went to bed last night I realized that wasn't going to happen. I laid in bed awake this morning at 5:30 am contemplating trying to salvage a few miles. I felt the need to go running, not because I wanted to and not because I needed to but because I don't have a good enough reason not to. But instead I rolled back up and slept until 7 am knowing I would feel serious runners guilt all day.
I need to change my mindset. The phrases skipping or giving up have such negative connotations to them. It’s not like I gave up on running forever and decided to become a lazy sloth. It’s one workout for Pete’s sake! And, in all honesty, I've been dealing with some tightness in my hips this week so I know my body can use the break. I need to let it go (both this workout and this week) and move on with it.
Does anyone do their run out of guilt or feel guilty when they're not doing it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh man I skipped a run last night and I have felt so guilty about it! I've been trying to rework in my mind my already crammed full and busy weekend to make up 5 silly miles just because I feel like I was ridiculous for missing them. So know that you are not alone here!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how our minds work - like missing those miles are going to make a significant difference...of course they won't but it's hard to teach your mind to think that way. I am glad I am not alone in my feelings (or skipped workouts) :)
DeleteI'm just as bad! I rearrange life to ensure I get my run in. I feel guilty all day if I skip a run. I don't let myself eat certain foods I enjoy if I don't run or I feel obsessively guilty if I eat something I feel I don't "deserve" because I didn't run. Sounds even crazier when I put it into words! I'm training for Boston right now and feel like I can't skip anything, even though I'm exhausted. After 3 full marathons in 4 months, I'm going to really try and take a breather from long running. Don't be so hard on yourself, and enjoy feeling more rested. (Advice I need to listen to, too!)
ReplyDeleteSarah, your words are very comforting as I felt like I could have written them myself. I spent all morning trying to figure how I could either rearrange my work schedule today to fit in some miles (and honestly they would have been junk miles). Then I started thinking well I can just get up super ridiculously early Saturday and run long then run long again Sunday to hit xxx mileage for the week - just sounds ridiculous when I write it out loud.
DeleteI am the same way with food thoughts as well. I hate it.
Best of luck at Boston and congrats on the 3 marathons in 4 months! I know how exhausting that can be! And, yes, you definitely deserve a break after Boston :)
Oh, I can relate to this. I swear, post-marathon, I've never felt this lazy before. Something is seriously wrong with me and I refuse to blame it on pregnancy. The first time I was pregnant, I am pretty sure there was a time that I worked out consecutive days from April 3 to the day I delivered (June 21st). So I don't know what who to blame than myself.
ReplyDeleteI do have a podiatrist appt. today and am a nervous wreck over it. I'm hoping it won't be bad news...
Here's to a better week (though, I already started off on the wrong foot (or no foot at all)!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that your appt goes well.
DeleteAnd, you just ran a marathon, so you are allowed to be lazy for at least a week guilt-free! :) Me...no such excuse.
I started the week off on no foot as well - which means a dreaded afternoon run for me. Ugh.