So, quick update:
- This week wraps up my 3rd month of Camp Gladiator Boot Camp. I honestly never thought I would love it as much as I do. Had I not won a free month in the first place, I never would have even tried it out. The workouts legitimately kick my butt (last night we did over 500 squats in the workout - no joke) and I have a lot of fun with them- part of that is due to the trainer - she comes up with some rock star workouts. I typically do boot camp 4 evenings a week on top of running, and I've really started to notice a change in my body. New muscles! I also really enjoy Camp Gladiator for the social aspect. I have met some great people. It's been really interesting to meet people from different fitness backgrounds - I've self admittedly always been a running snob so it's been good for me to see that running is not the only way to be fit. I've even been convinced to try a Piloxing Class tomorrow evening. Who am I?
- I'm teaching now! Admittedly, for awhile now I have been feeling kind of blasé about my job. Not because I dislike it, but I began to feel like I was stuck in a bit of a rut - same thing every day, not challenged as much anymore, and beat down by the politics and red tape involved in a government job. Yet, when looking at other employment options there wasn't anything I found that provided the stability, salary or other benefits that I have at my current position.
So, I began to look inside the organization to see how I could use my skill set in a way that would excite me. And, I was lucky to find something - turns out we have a Wellness Committee and they were looking for people with a vested interest and experience to jump start some programs for our new City-Wide Wellness Program. Since I already lead a Tues/Thurs morning run group that I am passionate about, my idea was to start a beginning running program for City employees (similar to Couch 2 5k program) to train participants for a November 5k. So, I am now teaching a Tues/Thurs run group during lunch for employees, as well as a Core Fitness Class on Fridays after work called "Healthy Happy Hour."
This is all volunteer but it's really good for me. I tend to keep to myself at work, so this allows people to see a different side of me and gets me out of my shell to get to know other people in our organization. Plus, it's truly rewarding to watch people meet their fitness goals and change their lives - that's the best thing about it all. - Running - it's happening, though it's not been my focus. The past two weeks I've finally got my mileage back up in the mid-50's, but it's been nothing spectacular. I am not following a plan, and so if I miss a long run (or several) it's been no sweat off my back.
Right now I've really been enjoying pressure-free running. Over the past few years, I have sacrificed my my body, and my heart for this sport and if I were to be honest, I do not always feel like it was worth it. Since I don't plan on having children, I am calling this training cycle my "maternity leave from running" and took advantage of the opportunity to try out other things.
How does this bode for my Fall marathons? We'll see. I'm doing enough other training where I am not concerned about my fitness level or ability to complete a marathon. The big question mark is my speed, and in that case you get what you put in - and my effort level can be best described as "half assed" most days (yet, I go give 110% at boot camp every time, so it's all about attitude for me right now... and I've clearly proven to myself that I don't have the desire to let Garmin paces dictate my life right now).
That's all folks! I hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend!

Wow, you are busy! Miss seeing you and running with you!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear about the work wellness thing! That's awesome and I bet you are great at it!!
I can't wait until you can come back and run with us! Run group is not the same without you :(
DeleteI love that you lead running groups for others! That is so awesome. I think you have a very healthy attitude towards running and fitness. Do what makes you happy! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Tyly! It's a lot of fun!
DeleteYep, it's the one in Temple!!! How exciting that you'll be there!!!
ReplyDeleteYAY! See you there. I'm super nervous - it's been months since I've raced!
DeleteYou really are a busy bumblebee. I was tired reading all that you do. 4am-7:30pm days -- I bet you're in the best shape of your life and I bet you that doing Camp Gladiator will better your marathon time. I don't know why but I have a friend that was stuck on like a 3:4x marathon time and then she was injured a few times... When she got injured she didn't do much running but then did crossfit and boy did she get her best 5k time of 19:xx and then a few months later she got her BQ. So I think that in the end you're going to be a stronger runner -- I am so interested to see the results. AND I'm thinking of doing crossfit post-pregnancy -- Pshhh... yeah right. When will I have the time with two kids? It'll be running + workouts at home unless I find something at lunch time... :-)
ReplyDeleteYou are always so sweet! We will see...I'm racing this weekend for the first time in months so we will see how it all pans out. I am not planning to wear and watch and just run by feel and see where that lands me.
DeleteI am sure that time will be a hot commodity with 2 little ones running around (I think chasing them around counts as a workout in itself)! Plus, you are always cooking awesome meals and put my general productivity to shame. :)
How was the piloxing class? How did teaching go? I think it is so awesome you are able to swim, run, gladiate (? not a word but that is what I am calling it lol) and now TEACH! I have been busy with school so I haven't got to see you lately, but just know that you are continually an inspiration of hard work! I think your new approach to running in the last couple of months combined with your new exercise routines might just make you an even stronger, leaner fighting machine! :) I am looking forward to hearing how your marathons go under this new approach!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jamie! You are so sweet. It was awesome to have you back at run group this morning!
DeleteTeaching is a lot of fun. Definitely a bit of a challenge as I have some who are really excited about running and some not so much :) But, I am excited to see how everyone progresses over the next few months.
Piloxing...let's just say I am not coordinated enough for that. I am 100% sure I looked entirely foolish :)