Since I have four unfinished posts sitting in my "draft folder" with about a 2% chance of getting finished, I'll just roll with the "Three Things Thursday" List...
1. Yesterday morning at approximately 6:45 AM in Austin, I bear crawled across the length of a football field (goal post to goal post) dragging 50 pounds of weight that was harnassed to my waist. Actually, I did this twice. This was after racing a mile, running the 100 M dash, running 400 M while carrying a 25 pound sand bag on my shoulders, attempting to be graceful and quick doing the agility cones and doing the sand bell squat, toss & run (twice) the length of the football field. Add all of this to the list of shit I never thought I would do.
2. The aforementioned was part of a competition I am competing in. Yesterday and Saturday are the preliminary rounds, and if I can finish in the top 50 nationwide, then I will advance to the finals in September and compete for money. My system was completely shocked yesterday, and I was thrown completely out of my element. Gold star to me for trying something new but this stuff is A LOT harder than I thought it would be. I consider myself fit, but holy cow, there are some super athletes competing. Humbled and a bit deflated describe how I felt leaving yesterday morning. The good news is that I can go back on Saturday and re-test to improve my times, and I am hell bent to do so to see if I can make it to the Top 50 (which, I would really need to bring my A++++ game on Saturday). The finals are a lot more endurance based (i.e run a 5k carrying a 25 pd sand bag on your shoulders,) so if I can make it there, I think I may have more of an advantage with my endurance background.
Also - side note - my 100M Sprint time was embarrassing. Especially since I consider myself a strong runner. I got my a$$ kicked. WTF. I am well aware that I am not a strong sprinter, but I had hopes I could at least compete in this. The frustrating thing is I wasn't smoked when I finished but I didn't feel like I could have gone much faster; I could have kept running at the pace for at least another 200 meters. I guess I'm just missing that fast twitch muscle speed.
3. I currently do not have a marathon training plan. I scrapped the plan I was using; the high mileage wasn't working for me this time around, and to be honest, I had other things I was having more fun with than running 70 miles per week. My current mileage is pretty low (for me). I'm running around 40-45 miles per week. I'm supplementing my mileage with boot camp and swimming. For example, yesterday, I ran 7 miles (broken up as 4 miles in the morning, 3 in the evening), competed in above mentioned events in the morning, and did a hour boot camp class in the evening (running 3 miles beforehand). I am counting this all as time on my feet, even though it's definitely not all running specific (we do a fair amount of running in boot camp but it's mostly sprints). I have no idea how this will plan will pan out for me come marathon time, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing so I'm not really concerned (right now anyways!).
Happy Thursday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Have fun with your new adventures!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Abbi! Hope your training is going well!
DeleteWell it seems that in my experience the cross training can def make up for not as many miles!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are doing the competition, sounds fun and great to step out of your element!
I hope you do well on your make ups Saturday!
I hope so :) I definitely feel like the strength work has really helped my core strength, which I think helps my running as well. It's been a nice change of pace for me...glad I finally stepped out of my running bubble!
DeleteContinue to do what you're doing and have fun!!! It's more important to enjoy yourself! :)
ReplyDeleteI agree! I was getting to the point where running wasn't becoming fun for me anymore, so I definitely needed to take a step back and re-evaluate. Now that I have taken the pressure off and started adding different workouts to the mix, I've been much happier :)
DeleteThanks for the update Erin. Sounds like like a mix of fun and crazy ass workouts. Hope things are well.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Steve! It's definitely been a fun challenge to test my fitness in areas other than running. Very humbling as well :) Hope you are having a great summer and kicking some butt on the road!
DeleteLMAO on #1. I read it wrong and was picturing a bear on a football field. Then I realized you "bear crawled" -- duh. I bet you are looking more and more ripped (not that you already weren't ripped), and defined these days. Especially since you're incorporating all new and exciting workouts. I'm seriously contemplating crossfit post-pregnancy. I was so against it -- until I saw a girlfriend of mine that had two c-sections and now has nice abs.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on Saturday. Top 50 has nothing on you. Cant' wait to hear all about it -- and hopefully it won't be a month later. I'm just kidding! I know you're busy, but we like to hear from you, you know!!!
You know, I felt the same way as you about the Boot Camp & Cross Fit stuff (I was highly skeptical) - but I will say I've noticed a big difference in my body toning and overall composition so I am sold. I think when run on top of doing these workouts you can get really fit!
DeleteThanks for the good luck wishes! And, I know - I'm seriously the world's worst blogger lately. Promise for more frequent updates :) Have a great weekend!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Erin!!! I got sick of training as well. I sold my MCM bib last month and have just been running whatever I want to and enjoying it for once. After the Army Marathon I just didn't have the desire to compete anymore. I feel like I've met my potential and just got plain bored. And sick of all the stress and worry of injury, etc. I hope you have a great time with your new training! It sounds like the people you are working out with are a lot more fun than those I ran into earlier this year at the crossfit class I attended, lol. Shoot me an email if you come up this way!! We are in Springfield!
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate!! :) Sent you an email :)
Delete