The bike exit was surrounded by cheering spectators – I felt like I was starting a leg of the Tour De France. The volunteers and spectators were AMAZING the entire race. I wore my University Texas bike jersey and received tons of “Go Texas” and “Hook ‘Em” cheers throughout the ride. It was fantastic. The funny part is I am not even a big Longhorns fan; I just wore it because it is the only full zip jersey I own, and that is the easiest to change into while wet.
Although I felt like my biking had improved quite a bit over the last few weeks, I had some concerns going into the ride: 1) I had done several 80 mile rides, but only one 100 mile ride. I was worried that I should have done more 100 mile rides, and at least one over 112 miles. 2) The hills. Coach Shawn had warned me about them; I was worried they would thrash my legs for the run. 3) My nutrition. I didn’t really have a plan, other than to eat when I was hungry. I had tried different things in training, but never really nailed any of them, so I decided to just go with how I felt. I didn't want to feel bloated on the run after eating too much...I figured I could recover if I got hungry, but I would have trouble if I ate too much and got too bloated. I didn't put myself on any kind of schedule with eating.
112 miles is far, so I wanted to say within my means on the ride. My estimated range is 7:00-7:15. I do have to run a marathon when I’m done. I tried to keep that in mind. The best I’ve averaged on the bike for a half-iron was 16.2, so I would have been ecstatic to average 16 mph for 112 miles.
I get on my bike and go. I know the first 25 miles are fairly flat, then the hills begin. I am reviewing my plan in my mind. I let the riders who pass me go. Their day is different than mine. This is not a race for speed.
My stomach is unsettled at first. All the lake water I drank is not sitting well, or maybe I put too much Nuun in my water bottle, or maybe I just really need to pee. I stick to the plain water in my other water bottle for now and think I would feel better if I could find somewhere to pee. But every porto-john has a line, and I don’t want to waste too much time, so I hold it. My stomach starts to feel better shortly afterwards.
The entire first loop was incredible. I'd heard the course support was amazing but was still surprised by how many people were out there cheering. In most races you have supporters at the swim start and along the run course, but it's rare to see so many people on the bike course. Some of them were out there all day and never ceased to share energy and enthusiasm. The miles were clicking by and my average was about 17 mph, even with the hills, at the first timing mat.
Scenery was amazing and I took it all in. The course and surrounding areas were amazingly beautiful. It would've been a shame not to appreciate that and I'm glad I did.
I saw Team Erin at the half-way point which made me smile and motivated me to hang in there. Seeing them out there meant the world to me. I wanted to make them proud.
Just pass the half-way point, I REALLY had to pee after holding it in the past 20 or so miles. I thought about going on my bike (they were definitely others doing that), but this girl just couldn’t do that. I pulled over at a porta-john. Had to wait a few minutes, but I used the time to stretch which helped, then peed for what felt like 10 minutes. Ah, relief. {afterwards I kicked myself a little for stopping because it slowed me down, but maybe next time I can practice peeing on the bike? Kidding. Maybe.}
I pulled up to special needs just after mile 60. I can't say enough about the volunteers and organization of this race. As I approached they called out my number, asked if I wanted my bag, pointed where to stop, and by the time I got there, a volunteer was holding my bag open and ready. I clipped out, grabbed the two things I needed (included my PB&J sandwich which was a life saver) and he offered to spray me with my sunscreen while I got things situated. I couldn't have been there more than 45 seconds and was back on the course.
The second loop was a little more humbling than the first. I swear the hills grew a few feet while I was away. When we hit the 15 miles of hills, my legs felt it. I was out of the saddle more the second time to give my legs a change of scenery. The heat had risen significantly and the spectators thinned out as did the riders. My overall pace had slowed, but I tried ignore the number on the computer. It doesn’t matter. This is about controlling my exertion, not how slow I’m going. Still though, I was holding my own and my nutrition was working.
As I neared mile 90 I recalled someone saying you'd hate yourself around mile 90 and question why you were there. I had a different feeling. Yes, I was starting to feel the pains of a long ride, but I was also having my best ride ever and I still had no idea what the rest of the day would bring. I got very emotional and thought to myself - please don't let this be over. Please let me get through the bike with out any mechanical issues or stomach problems. I continued to do the only thing I knew I could do for sure that day: enjoy every moment.
As we headed back into town on the final miles, I started to get excited because I knew I would see Team Erin again before I got off my bike. It propelled me to pick it up, and my overall average went back up the last 20 miles. I saw them about mile 110, waved, smiled and told them I would see them on the run.
I pull into transition and hand my bike off to a volunteer.
Time: 06:47:17/16.5 mph
T2: This sweet little lady grabbed me in T-2 and started going through my bag and helping me get my socks and running shoes on. Bless her heart. That job is not one for the faint of heart. So I start saying "Thank you, thank you...gu...gu...gu is in there, right?" And she looks and looks and can't find them. So I dump it all out. No Gu. I had put them in my special needs bag...not the T-2 bag. Great. Oh well...nothing I can do now, so I take off running out the tent.
As I’m exiting the fact that I’ve finished my Ironman swim and bike hits me. I’m starting the run.
t2 time: 3:10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment