12:35:49
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would see a twelve on the clock when I finished my first Ironman. I knew I would finish. I told you I'd you finish. I wanted to finish in less than 14 hours. I thought, given the right conditions, that was possible. I even told you that 13:00 would take a perfect day. I wasn't sandbagging' - I promise...so all I know to do is tell you the story....I decided to break my race report into three sections: the swim, the bike and the run...
swim [2.4 miles]
I slept very well the night before the race... I actually didn't want to get up when my alarm went off at 4:00 am.
Going into the swim I was worried about two things: (1) the water temperature of the lake; and (2) the mass swim start with 2,300 athletes getting into the water at the same time. I swam in the lake three times prior to race morning; the first day, I froze. The second day, I was fine after about 2-3 min; the last day I acclimated in about 30 seconds. On race day, it wasn’t a factor at all. I went without the neoprene hat and booties, although there were people wearing them. I’m guessing the water was 63-64 degrees? I was very thankful that I did the practice swims and that the cold wasn’t a factor.
Oddly, I wasn't nervous race morning. At all. I was just excited and so ready to start the day. You know that feeling, right? The one where you've waited and waited on something, and the time is finally here, and you don't know anything else to do but to throw yourself into it like there's no tomorrow. I got everything set up in transition, dropped off my special needs bags and then just waited for the race to begin.
The pros went off at 6:30 am. Breathe. Say goodbye to ‘Team Erin’. Head to the beach to line –up. Decided against lining up to the far right like I originally planned; there were people lined up all the way down the beach – way far right - , but there was no way I wanted to swim that extra distance. Decided to line up right in the center, near the back.
The cannon is loud and we’re off, 2300 jacked up athletes hit the water. [I counted to 10 when the cannon went off, then hit the water]
Swim, 2.4 miles – two 1.2 mile loops with a short run on to the beach between. My personal estimated time is 1:45-55, but I know better than to set goal times here. I just wanted to make the swim cut off.
I get in the water, and am surprised by the amount of personal space I actually have in the water. They are people all around me, but I swim with wide elbows and am happy that I am not getting pummeled. Even better, I do not need to sight very much since there are plenty of other athletes to do that for me. When I survived the first 200m without any signs of panic, I knew it was going to be a great day.
The turn buoys (2 of them) are where it gets rough – it’s a bottleneck. People on top of people. Some are still trying to swim. There is no swimming here. I get knocked in the head, kicked in the stomach and someone attempts to mount me (which was received with an elbow and a strong kick). I slowly made it around both buoys and and find my own space again.
We turn and face directly into the sun. I can hear the guards on surfboards yelling “to the right.” The school of fish complies.
There’s more space now, I can get into a rhythm and I’m only occasionally bumped or kicked.
I’m closing in on shore and people are starting to stand up and walk. The water is so shallow here. I swim as long as I can. I see the clock and it’s around 45 min. I’m pretty pleased. Run over the timing mat and head back in.
There’s a girl next to me swimming the same pace. I try to stay with her. I wish I could tell the zig-zagging guy in front of me to stop kicking so much. You’re in a wetsuit. You’re doing an ironman swim. You don’t need to kick up a storm. I keep trying to go around him but he keeps zig-zagging. Even after I got nailed in the eye by the guy zig-zagging kicking like crazy, I laughed and giggled to myself over and over at how much freakin' fun this was!
The second lap is rougher as the current has picked up. I swallow a good amount of lake water but I don’t care. I am doing an Ironman and am determined to enjoy every moment of it.
Reach the turn buoys again. More bottle neck. I am thankful this is the last time I have to go around the buoys.
Turn, into the sun. Men on boards yell “to the right!” I have the routine down.
Turn again, heading home. Last bit of the swim. I feel like I could keep swimming, I almost can’t believe this part is already over. And this is good. I am surprised about the amount of people still in the water behind me; I had fear of being the last one out of the water.
The little dots of people lining the shore are getting bigger. I hear the music. I hear names being called. I wonder if I will see Team Erin.
The clock is 1:35 and change when I get out, 1:36 by the time I cross the mat. I’m satisfied. I unzip my wetsuit and strip to the waist. I head toward the wetsuit strippers.
The strippers rock. They sit me down, peel my suit off my bottom half, heave me up, hand me my suit and send me on my way.
T1- Crowded. I just grabbed my bag and did it myself. I meant to put on arm warmers, but I wasn't feeling anything cold at that point. And I'm glad I forgot them, because it warmed up quickly .
Run out of transition with my bike. I see Team Erin and smile. I am happy to be on my way.
Swim Time: 01:36:06
T1 Time: 5:44
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment