I had the best weekend. Seriously, the best. I didn't want it to end, and went back to work kicking and screaming this morning. I wish every weekend could be a three day weekend. Or, I wish I could retire and just train. Not that I don't like my job - because I do - but if I had the option/luxury not to work, I wouldn't.
Not that I was productive besides getting my workouts done this weekend. Because I wasn't. The house is still a mess, and my to-do list is still a mile long, but whatevs.
I had a great ride with my coach on Saturday. Best.ride.ever. He taught me so much, most importantly how to use my gears properly. It was basically a crash course for Cycling Dummies. And, I am indeed a dummy because for over the past year+ I've had my bike, I have never ridden in my big ring; didn't know I had it. Just ignored the gears on the left of my bike because I did not know how to use them. So embarrassing. Turns out I should have asked because they're quite important. Anyway, I just picked up some speed after being introduced to my very important big ring, and I am super excited about it. We incorporated some hill repeats and intervals into our workout. It was hands down the hardest I have ever worked on my bike, but the most rewarding.
I ended up switching up my schedule a little bit, and decided to do my long run yesterday instead of Sunday. It was HOT, but I knocked out 21 miles and felt good. And strong. And ready for this race!
It's really funny to be how I have changed over this entire process. Not only have I learned so much about myself, but I no longer approach my weekend workouts with a sense of dread/resentment for sucking up my time. I look forward to them. I look forward to my Friday night routine of dinner, Friday Night lights and relaxing on the couch, in bed by 9. I look forward to early bike rides with friends and biking in new and different areas on Saturdays. I look forward to my Sunday long runs where I can reflect on the week and get ready for the next. It's become a lifestyle. And, one that I am really starting to enjoy.
I told Coach Shawn I didn't know what I would do with my free time afterwards. His response: "sign up for another one."
And, I thought a lot about this on my run yesterday, and thought, well, maybe I will.
But, not until I finish this one first. I've still yet to put all three events together, and I still have a huge task to accomplish in less than a month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment