Monday, June 7, 2010

Strange Sense of Calm

Another big weekend in the books. My last really big weekend to be exact. Cheers to that!

Last week's totals:
Swim - 12,628 yds
Bike - 135 miles
Run - 58.15 miles

Ironman is 20 days away. And, I have a strange sense of calm. Maybe it still hasn't hit me yet.

I had a solid training weekend, despite disastrous runs thanks to the ten zillion degree heat index and temps. The ride Saturday was awesome. I had great company which made the 80 miles fly by. I never thought I would say that 80 miles flew by, and that I actually really enjoyed a bike ride. We averaged 16.7 mph on a hilly course, and I was super excited about that. That's faster than I've ever averaged for that distance. Learning how to use my gears properly has helped a ton. I had a 12 mile run afterwards, and lucky for me it was like 1 pm and sweltering hot. Ugggggh. I ran the first two miles with a friend, and then he turned back because he was lucky to only have to run 4 miles. I was right at an 8 min pace for the first two miles, and picked it up a little by mile 5. That's when I started to lose it. It was simply too hot, and I simply had not drank enough water on my ride to prepare. I finished 9 miles at a somewhat decent pace and then walked/shuffled/crawled/pouted my way back to my car. I made it home and felt like sh*& for the rest of the evening. I guess 7 hours exercising in the Texas heat will do that too you. Went to bed early, and still woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Fueled up anyways, and headed out for my 10 mile run. The heat and humidity was back again, no matter that it was only 8 am. This proved to be a mental battle that I was determined to win, and lucky for me I'm as stubborn as a donkey. I finished the run - it was slow - but I finished. I imagine Sunday's run will be like the last 10 miles of the Ironman marathon - a mental battle where you are fighting for every step.

After my run, I headed out to Lake Pflugerville for my open water swim. I think I was suposed to wait until later in the afternoon to do it, but I just wanted to be done with workouts and enojy the rest of my afternoon. The swim turned out much better than the run (never thought I would say that either). The water felt awesome, and my sighting was on point (for once). I rewarded myself with a very large and unhealthy meal at Buffalo Wild Wings afterwards. And, I did not feel one bit guilty.

Today's workout was only a swim, which I did at lunch. I would be excited about a free evening, only I have to come back to work tonight at 7:30 pm for a meeting. Excuse me, but do these people not realize I need to be in bed by 8:30 pm?? AND, I'm going to miss the Bachelorette!!

Ugh. Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment