Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Here We Are

Reality is setting in, and I am overcome with amazement at what lies ahead.

I wonder how I got here, really, although I know exactly how I did.

Doubt is of no concern right now, there simply isn't any room for it, I have no use for it, and I would not allow it, anyways.

One does not get to the final days before an Ironman without many things going their way. Many sacrifices by friends and family. Many words of encouragement.I am grateful. As I read the emails, the comments, and the facebook messages, and I take the phone calls and hear the voice mails of encouragement, I am humbled by every one of you. You guys have shown me support and love and you've picked me up when I've been down. You've been patient and understanding when I haven't had time to blog, to show up in person, or even remember to do what I said I'd do. You've reminded me why I am here, and why I love to share my thoughts with you. Why I love to swim, bike and run with you - be it virtual or in person. And the motivating thoughts of how every last one of you has impacted my life will propel me to the finish line of Ironman Couer D’Alene... and I'll be thinking of you, you can count on it. You will be there with me. And, I am ready. And that bring me to the goals section of this document.

Writing down goals is hard because once you write them down, you can’t come back later and deny you ever said it. Once I write it down, it’s real and I’m committed.

My overall race goals are:
1. To not die.
2. To finish.
3. To finish in under 17 hours.
4. To finish in under 17 hours and still be standing.
5. To finish in under 17 hours and still be standing and smiling.

In ideal conditions, assuming I execute my plan perfectly, I am capable of finishing in 13-13.5 hours. I don’t think this is likely, but it’s possible. So, 13 hours would be a super bonus, breaking 14 hours would be awesome and just breaking 15 is kind of where I expect to actually finish. Slight (only very, very, very slight) disappointment starts to set in at 15 hours. Once again, number 1 goal is to not die…number 2 goal is to finish. The time doesn’t really matter.

I may or not have a chance to blog while I'm in Idaho. If I don't - think iron thoughts for me, and I'll see you on the other side...as an Ironman, baby.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment