Sunday was the Ranch 30k trail race out in Burnet at Reveille Ranch. It would be my fourth trail run ever and my second trail race. I haven't been doing much trail running lately, unfortunately. Actually, I haven't been on the trails since my last race in early April. Oops. Admittedly, I was a bit over ambitious in signing up for the 30k (18.6 miles); the 10k would have been a better choice. But, it was only $5 extra to sign up for the 30k, so I (il)logically did. Of course.
I was not prepared for the extremely rocky and rugged terrain. Perhaps a hard 10-mile run the day before was not the smartest decision either. Needless to say, I am hobbling around like a 70 year old lady today.
This was an interesting race. Interesting because everyone got lost. I don't know anyone who ran the distance that they were supposed to. People were either short or long. Thankfully, I was on the short end (17 miles); no way in hell would I have wanted to run longer. They did not do awards since so many people got lost. They ended up giving us all 1/2 off entry for next year's race. Fine with me. There was onejackass man who was irate about getting lost and throwing a complete temper tantrum but everyone else was pretty cool with it. It happens.
I started out way too fast. Of course, me being me, went into complete race mode when the gun sounded and the race started. I started out at a 6:50 pace and was about to die by mile 1, when I got my act together and reminded myself that I don't even run that pace on the road for 18 miles. After that, I calmed down, slowed way down and just tried to enjoy the scenery.
Mile 3 seemed to be where everyone got off track. We all kind of stopped, unsure which direction to go. We finally picked a direction and went with it, figuring everyone would follow. I think that must have been where we cut the course short. From there, I was very careful to pay close attention to make sure I was following the course markings. Apparently, a volunteer mis-directed the front of the pack later on, and they ended up running 20+ miles. Sucks to be them.
This was a tough, tough course. Most of the terrain was jagged rocky surfaces, and I was terrified I was going to twist an ankle. For a large portion of the race, I was alone. Every once in awhile someone would come up from behind, and I would hang with them for awhile. Or, I would catch people and enjoy the company before pulling ahead. But, the majority of the race it was just me and my thoughts.
Besides focusing on not getting lost, I have two other goals: not to fall, and not to have any encounters with snakes. Goals met.
I ended up crossing the line with 17 miles under my belt in 2:47 (9:49 pace). I felt like I had just finished a marathon.
My super sherpa Dan was there waiting for me, and we hung out with some friends who had done the 10k. They had beer, food and festivities at the finish line; it was a great time. The race shirts were really nice, and we get the professional photos that were taken for free. The Ranch was absolutely beautiful, and the weather gorgeous. It was a great Sunday!
I was not prepared for the extremely rocky and rugged terrain. Perhaps a hard 10-mile run the day before was not the smartest decision either. Needless to say, I am hobbling around like a 70 year old lady today.
This was an interesting race. Interesting because everyone got lost. I don't know anyone who ran the distance that they were supposed to. People were either short or long. Thankfully, I was on the short end (17 miles); no way in hell would I have wanted to run longer. They did not do awards since so many people got lost. They ended up giving us all 1/2 off entry for next year's race. Fine with me. There was one
I started out way too fast. Of course, me being me, went into complete race mode when the gun sounded and the race started. I started out at a 6:50 pace and was about to die by mile 1, when I got my act together and reminded myself that I don't even run that pace on the road for 18 miles. After that, I calmed down, slowed way down and just tried to enjoy the scenery.
Mile 3 seemed to be where everyone got off track. We all kind of stopped, unsure which direction to go. We finally picked a direction and went with it, figuring everyone would follow. I think that must have been where we cut the course short. From there, I was very careful to pay close attention to make sure I was following the course markings. Apparently, a volunteer mis-directed the front of the pack later on, and they ended up running 20+ miles. Sucks to be them.
This was a tough, tough course. Most of the terrain was jagged rocky surfaces, and I was terrified I was going to twist an ankle. For a large portion of the race, I was alone. Every once in awhile someone would come up from behind, and I would hang with them for awhile. Or, I would catch people and enjoy the company before pulling ahead. But, the majority of the race it was just me and my thoughts.
Besides focusing on not getting lost, I have two other goals: not to fall, and not to have any encounters with snakes. Goals met.
I ended up crossing the line with 17 miles under my belt in 2:47 (9:49 pace). I felt like I had just finished a marathon.
My super sherpa Dan was there waiting for me, and we hung out with some friends who had done the 10k. They had beer, food and festivities at the finish line; it was a great time. The race shirts were really nice, and we get the professional photos that were taken for free. The Ranch was absolutely beautiful, and the weather gorgeous. It was a great Sunday!

No comments:
Post a Comment