Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Perhaps I Missed My Calling as a Librarian

A lot of people don't know this, but one of my favorite things in the world other than running is reading. I am definitely a reading nerd, and if I could run and read at the same time, I would be in heaven.

I probably have my mom to thank for this, as she was a reading teacher for years and taught me the love of books. I am very picky about my books. For one, I refuse to get a kindle or any sort of e-reader. I need to hold a book in my hand. I need to bury my nose in it and let it tell me if it’s from the library, the used bookstore, or that mega store in the burbs. I want its spine showing on my bookshelf or in the growing piles I have around the house. I want to enjoy the artwork on the front, the colors chosen for the cover.

I do not like to lend books, particularly my favorite ones, because I worry they will never return to me. I'm selfish with them. I know a lot of people who give away their books after reading them, but I like to keep them (evident by our overflowing bookshelves).


I am also a big fan of the public library. I always have been. I spend a good amount of time there. I know Dan thinks this is weird, as a lot of old people and children hang out there, but I love the quiet reprieve and wealth of knowledge that it provides.


I'm pretty sure I missed my career calling as a Librarian. I don't know why I never thought to become a Librarian. Did you know you can get a degree in Library Sciences? I did not. Can I trade mine for one of those?


Anyway, while I would normally write today off as a crappy day after a not so great run this morning and a lingering stomach ache all day,
I have been super excited all day for one reason: the new book by my favorite author, Jodi Picoult, came out today. I've had this date circled on my calendar and been looking forward to it since I plowed through her last book in less than 24 hours. I have her listed as one of my reserved authors at the library, meaning I'm one of the first in line to get her new books when they come out. I receive an email from the library when the book is ready for pick-up, but I am so impatient/excited/over eager, that if I didn't have an email from the library by the end of the work day today, I was headed out to buy the book after work. But, I received an email this afternoon from the library saying my book was ready for pick-up, so I dashed out over and grabbed it. I'm now rather impatiently counting down the work day so I can head home start reading my new book. Book Nerd? I think so.

Jodi Picoult's new book. If you haven't read her, you should.
Probably my all-time favorite book ever. If you are a dog person, this is a must read.
Have any book reccomendations for me? Send them my way!

14 comments:

  1. I've never read Jodi Picoult but have read The Art of Racing in the Rain and enjoyed it. I tend to be a non-fiction person mostly, probably has something to do with my love of research. I don't want an e-reader either because I love the actual book. I'm really particular with my books. I only loan them to family members and they get a little worried if the cover or spine is returned too damaged for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one resisting the e-readers! I like non-fiction as well - memoirs are my favorite.

      Delete
  2. I run with a gal who got her degree in Library Science. She is a librarian for a law firm in DC. I didn't know you were such a big reader! You should do more book posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great job!

      I will have to start posting some of my favorite books :)

      Delete
  3. Kindles and e-readers seem so weird to me. Though I know a lot of people really like them! I just couldn't get one, I am like you...I love feeling a book, and seeing a book, and smelling a book.
    I really didn't know this about you and I think it's so cool :)
    Don't worry I never loan my favorites either. There are a few that are very dear to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people swear by them! And, while it would be nice to instantly download a book, I just can't let myself get one.

      Delete
  4. great post. i try and read more but it's usually only built around when i'm flying somewhere. Agreed on the e-reader. There is just something great about holding a book and then adding it to your bookshelf when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find time to fit it in - particularly during heavy training periods. I find myself going through cycles with the amount of reading I do. Since my training volume is lower right now, I've been able to read a lot more.

      Delete
  5. I met Jodi Picolt once! That was cool, especially since she was giving a talk about how she comes up with book ideas and does all of the research. Did I just make you jealous? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. UM, VERY! I totally have a girl crush on her. Lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin - the art of racing in the rain is a fantastic read. One of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe - agreed! There's few books that I read and re-read, but that's one of them.

      Delete
  8. Erin, a great book you might like. Cutting the stone.

    ReplyDelete