Race #1 of 2 this weekend is in the books - the Holland Corn Festival 5k. I hate running 5k's. You have to go hard right out of the starting gate! My body doesn't like that. Uh uh.
First of all, let's take a moment to reflect on this picture of me warming up before the race.
While I was busting out a peace sign, it's actually foreshadowing my finish at the race. Meaning, I'm indicating that I'm the second
place woman AGAIN at this race. Time to speed it up woman, second place is the first
looser!
 |
| 2nd again. Womp womp womp. Will never flash this again pre-race. Ha! |
All jokes aside, I was very happy with how this race went.
Results were 3.12 miles/20:26/6:32 pace.
2nd overall woman
I was 8 seconds slower than last year, which isn't too disappointing post-injury. I ran what I felt was a solid race, and kept my splits pretty even. I was 4th woman about 1.25 miles in, and was able to pick up 2 spots on the back half. My endurance is getting better, my speed is getting better, I just need to keep on working at it.
A few more highlights from the morning:
- I got to hang out and run with friends, including getting to see some friends I haven't seen or run with in awhile. Can't beat that.
- I got to meet the super speedy overall female winner - who happens to read my blog (how cool is that?) AND is from Northern Virginia as well. As well as being really fast, she's also very nice. Thanks for introducing yourself, Meredith!
- I got another famous "Corn Cob Trophy". Most unique racing trophy I've seen.
- And this might top my morning - the lady who crossed the finish line pushing a stroller, then lit a cigarette. Yes, that happened. Classic.
Tri gear is packed, pre-race swim done, bike is tuned up, legs are up - time to see what tomorrow's triathlon holds for me!
 |
| Obligatory pre-race photo at dark thirty |
| |
| Hello from Holland, Texas! |
|
|
|
 |
| Trying to catch Paul. No luck! |
|
 |
| Rounding the corner, headed to the finish. |
|
|
|
 |
| First and Second Place Female. Nice to meet you, Meredith! |
|
|
|
|
 |
| Awards shot. I have some fast friends! |
|
 |
| Corn Cob Trophy! |
Congrats on the race, looks like it was probably a hot day! Good luck today!
ReplyDeleteNice! Looks like some hills too! Great job!
ReplyDeleteDang, you are tan and toned!
ReplyDeleteHey, you push a stroller in a 5K and you might want a cig and a drink after. :)