Today marks Day 1 of an 18 week training program for the Baltimore Marathon. But, if I'm honest, today really marks about a 9 month marathon training block as I find myself registered for marathons in October, November, December and March. Though not all will be PR attempts, I'll still need to be putting in the work as we all know marathons aren't an easy task.
Today is bittersweet for me. For the past 2 months, I haven't been running a whole lot. 4-5 days a week and only 1 or 2 runs were over 11 miles. I've been swimming instead, and doing a boot camp (which I will review in another blog post) but for the most part, I've been sleeping in on the weekends, have had little regard to nutrition and just doing whatever the heck I want. It was a break I needed, and a break I enjoyed (probably too much). Point blank: I have a lot of work to do over the next few months. It will require early mornings every day of the week (there is no sleeping in when trying to get a long run done in the Texas summer), it will require dedication and hard work and it will require focus.
I'm ready though. As much as I enjoy being a sloth (well my version of a sloth - Dan argues I still work out more than a normal person even when I'm not training for something), I can only go so long before I crave the hard training, structure and routine necessary to prepare for an event like the marathon.
I decided to follow the same plan I used last year training for Baltimore (stick with what works?) - Pfitzinger's 18/70 plan. I'll continue with swimming and boot camp for core work/recovery. Once August hits, I'll have the opportunity to start training with the local college cross country team coached by my incredibly talented friend who is a 5 time Olympian (but you would never know it from talking to her because she's so humble). If chasing around college kids about 15 years younger than you isn't motivation to get faster, then I don't know what is. I'm really excited for this opportunity as I know it will push me outside my comfort zone, which I seem to have a hard time doing sometimes.
This week kicks off with a challenge of back to back races this weekend - a 5k on Saturday on a particularly tough course and a triathlon (my only one of the summer) on Sunday. Let's not talk about the fact that I haven't been on my bike in a year... guess I'll be winging it :)
LET THE FUN BEGIN.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Erin: I am so excited to follow you on your 18-week marathon training for um, like, 4 upcoming marathons!!! How exciting. You really are such an amazing and inspirational woman. As for not being on a brief hiatus with your runs, I think that's fine and you'll be stronger than ever with your cross-training (and this boot camp).
ReplyDeleteSo excited to see what's to come!!! YAY!! Good luck!
Thank you!! And, just so you know, you've been inspiring me with your workouts. I'm like, if she can kick butt while pregnant (and in the summer heat to boot) then I can get off my lazy non-pregnant a$$ and get to training!
DeleteBusy weekend ahead for you! I was going to ask you about game night, but probably not a good weekend for it! :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome you will get some time in with Francie's group. That will be an awesome push for you and a break from the norm of us slow folks at run group!
Psshh whatever - you guys are not slow! And, I know those college kids won't be as great of company as you guys!!
DeleteI know you're going to have a killer marathon season :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kara! I hope so!
DeleteI'm so excited to watch what you do this marathon season. Your training is always so inspiring to me and keeps me going so I'm ready to glean some motivation off of you this summer and fall! Good luck this weekend!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Lauren! I appreciate your kind words :) Congrats on your wedding, and I hope you guys had a fantastic honeymoon!
DeleteI'm looking forward to reading how your marathons go and to see how your tri goes this weekend! I know you'll do great!
ReplyDeleteThank you! :)
Delete