Thursday, May 23, 2013

Three Things Thursday

(or otherwise known as random things no one cares about)

1. I am addicting to buying those subscription boxes that seem to be popping up everywhere. I am definitely an advertiser's dream, otherwise known as a sucker, with these type of things. If you don't know how these boxes work, you pay a monthly fee/purchase a subscription and get a box full of surprise goodies in the mail each month. So basically it's like Christmas! My husband (obviously the Grinch in this situation) thinks they are the biggest waste of money, but you can't reason with a sucker so...

Right now, I'm subscribed to three boxes: Stride Box (geared towards runners), Kona Kase (nutritional products) and yesterday I (shamefully) purchased a one month subscription to Bark Box (goodies for dogs...this is what happens when you don't have kids - you buy shit for your dogs). 

Stride Box: I have an on-going monthly subscription for $15 a month. It's a mix of nutritional items and other cool gadgets for running. Kona Kase: I purchased through a coupon deal in which I got a 3 month subscription for $24, so $8 per month. It's all nutritional products and for the price I definitely get more than I could purchase for $8 in the store. Bark Box: I had a coupon for $10 off and just purchased a one month subscription yesterday. It's a little more pricey than the others, and I knew Dan would be less than thrilled that I am purchasing subscription boxes for the dogs, so I just did a one month subscription (which I haven't gotten yet but am excited!). I will say I have been turned onto some really good products through these boxes, my favorite being Bonk Breakers Energy Bar. SO GOOD.
TRY THESE!
Just a disclaimer: None of these companies are paying or compensating me in any way for these reviews. These are just my opinions. I think they are a good deal, while my husband thinks they are a giant rip off so there ya go...

2. About 2 months ago at a race, I won a free four week session to something called Camp Gladiator. They describe themselves as an "award winning outdoor boot camp." I had heard of them before as it has become pretty popular in the Austin area and beyond. I haven't had much interest because one, they are pretty pricey ($160 for a 4 week session) and two, I've always been a little wary of boot camps because unless it's really going to kick my butt, I'd rather spend my time running. But with the expiration date nearing, I decided to go ahead and sign up for my free 4 week session. It starts on Monday, and I am interested to see what it entails. If nothing else, hopefully it will force me to do some core work that I haven't been doing on my own. And, if it sucks, well, no money lost.

3. I don't talk about swimming much on my blog, but I have been doing a ton of it. I'm in the pool 5 days a week or more and swimming on average of 17,000-20,000 yards a week. Some weeks I am swimming almost as many miles as I am running. The irony of it all is that I am only doing 1 triathlon this summer and the swim is super short - 500m. Yet my shortest swim workout in any given week is 3,000 yards. So the purpose of all of my swimming? None other than I have come to love it. Some days more than running. WHO AM I?? My goal by the end of the summer is to complete a 10k swim in the pool (100 x 100 workout). The downside to all my swimming is that I have semi-permanent goggle marks under my eyes, and I always reek of chlorine (impossible to get rid of of - I've tried).

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Please review the boot camp here on your blog, Erin. I'd love to see an athlete whose primary "fix" is running review these as core cross-training.
    I'm swimming these days too, but holy cow, 20K yards a week? That's pretty hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom! I defintely will review the bootcamp. I am interested to see how it is...I've heard great things but of course am skeptical.

      Good to hear you're swimming. I really love it (though I'm still slow!). I love that it is non impact, and I def count it as a core workout too!

      Delete
  2. Love bonk breakers! I would so love those boxes too - I've been thinking of signing up for some myself but haven't bit the bullet. Thank goodness I haven't seen any coupons! Nice job on the swimming - I need some of that swim motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The love of swimming has been a weird surprise for me... I used to avoid it at all costs!

      Just saw your post IM Texas - congrats!! I am excited for you. Training for and completing an Ironman is really an amazing journey. I look forward to following your training! :)

      Delete
  3. I know it has been a LONG TIME I haven't read your blog. I am trying to catch up. Thanks for mentioning about Stridebox. I am definitely going to try it. In the meantime, I need to catch up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stridebox is worth it in my opinion! Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. You totally sold me on the Bonk Breaker. I'm a sucker for infomercials, which is why I don't have them on when I'm on the couch on a lazy Sunday (or whatever day it is). I'm always like, "OMG, HURRY UP, IF WE ORDER NOW, WE GET AN EXTRA ONE FOR FREE!!!" SUCKER.

    I wish I could swim. I definitely need lessons. I'll go with my kids in the future. :-) Is it strange that I love the way I still smell like chlorine even after a good scrub?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm a total sucker as well! BUT - the Bonk Breakers are the real deal. You'll love them. Pinky swear!

      Delete
  5. As someone who hates Gels and such while running, the thought of that bonk bar seems appealing, yet scary. But who can turn down peanut butter?

    As for swimming, I'm all for it - did some workouts with my Twin brother in his big-city gym that has a pool - I loved it.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. You can't go run with peanut butter :-)

      Delete
  6. I read this post and it seems like almost everytime I get on facebook, I see an advertisement for that Bark Box. I'm like this close to getting one for Eva myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eagerly awaiting the Bark Box. I haven't gotten it yet, but I will let you know what I think!

      Delete