Monday, May 20, 2013

A Farewell to the 30-34 Age Group

Yesterday I bid adieu to the 30-34 year old age group with one final race before I hit the big 3-5 this week. I ran yet another 5k, the Deutsch Pfest 5k in Pflugerville, Texas.

It wasn't my best effort, but wasn't my worst either, and I finished first female and 12th overall in 20:05. The course was fairly challenging - lots of rollers - and it was humid and windy. That being said, I simply wasn't feeling it. I felt pretty crappy during my warm-up and contemplated just "running for fun" with my husband ... but in the end my competitive side won, and I raced it. I ran without a watch so I can't tell you how well I executed my mile splits but I passed a few rather than getting passed so there's that. I ended up feeling better once I got going, but just didn't have much "pop" in my legs. 3 speed workouts (Tues/Thurs + Race) is too probably too much for me in my old age, so I need to dial it back if I expect a better performance.

So, one thing about the race that I found completely odd. They ONLY did age group awards. No overall awards at all. I thought that was truly bizarre. And, not to be a whiny complainer, but the awards were dinky medals that just had the race name on them and didn't even indicate whether you placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I guess I just expected more from my $25 + $3 on-line registration fee.
Last race as a 34 year old. Damn, I'm getting old.


Post race brunch with friends!

Next up for me is the Autism Speaks 8k on Sunday. My  first race in the 35-39 age group!

6 comments:

  1. If I ever meet you in person, I want a picture with you and your autograph!!! You are AMAZING!!! I am so inspired by your speed and your accomplishments. I'm glad your last race in your age group was a good one!!!

    I'm looking forward to seeing what the future in the next age bracket will do for you. I'm sure amazing things!!!

    YAY your birthday is coming up. (It's a good day -- my anniversary too!!!). Now I'll never forget your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, you are too kind - thank you! :)

      I'm interested to see how I can place in the 35-39 age group. I definitely don't like getting older, but I am always up for new challenges!

      Happy Anniversary to you guys!! I hope you have a great day and get to do something fun to celebrate!

      Delete
  2. Great job Old Lady! haha You will be a youngin' in your new age group, so more medals and trophies for you! I'm still 2 years away from a new age group, but this year I've signed up for smaller races to have better chances at top 10 finisher in my AG! haha With age, comes wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I'm glad wisdom comes with age because I sure could use some. :) As much as I hate getting older, I am looking forward to being at the young end of the new age group!

      Delete
  3. Hey you made me feel better about turning 30 in a couple of weeks, so there is that :) Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete