– NCAA / USATF coach Tom Anzack (used to put a poor performance in perspective)
I came across the following quote which instantly put my feelings of late in perspective. I haven't been running as well as I'd like lately (hip pain again - massage today with a new lady. Fingers crossed it helps), and I have been letting it get to me. Last week I took several days off from running, and to be honest, with back to back 5k's looming over me for the weekend, I just wasn't excited about running them and thought several times about backing out.
Luckily I came across the words above which made me realize, you know what, just go run, do my best and enjoy the gift of running. Who cares how fast I run or how I place. It doesn't matter to anyone but me, and it shouldn't even matter to me. I am constantly having to remind myself not to let running define me.
5k #1: First up was the Petco 5k at Walter E Long Park in Austin. I signed up for this race as part of a Living Social Deal and it ended up being a steal! For $17, we got a nice shirt, chip timed race & bag full of pet goodies. I also took home a free pair of Newtons, new head phones and a coffee cup for first female (note: I was actually 2nd female, but the lady who won was running with a dog and they gave separate awards for those running with a dog vs. those running without).
Yes, I got beat my someone running with their dog (and also the 7 yr old boy behind her). In my defense, she's a professional triathlete. And, if I looked like her, maybe I would run faster (note to self: lay off the pizza)
![]() |
| Race start. Those without dogs started first, followed by those running with dogs a minute later. I'm in the blue. |
![]() |
| Muddy finish |
![]() |
| My friend Rain & I |
![]() |
| The coolest dog I saw! I wanted to take him home with me! And yes I asked someone if I could take a picture of their dog... |
5k #2: Next up was the ARC Daisy 5k in Austin. This was a two loop course out at the Austin State Supported Living Center. I woke up SORE from Saturday. I just don't recover like I used too. It's very depressing. I warmed up a solid 30 minutes on Sunday trying to loosen up my legs and again decided to race sans Garmin so I wouldn't get caught up in my splits. The course was hillier than I expected but fair. Saw lots of familiar faces, including a local Georgetown runner, Felix, who I knew would be a good person to pace off of.
Results: 19:57, 2nd female. My goal for this race was to come in under 20 min and I barely squeaked in under 20. I was a little disappointed in my race. The women's race was really tight 6 deep through the first loop and continued to be tight 4 deep for the final half. I was leading through the first loop, but got passed about 2.5 miles in. The girl was won ran a smarter race than I and deserved the win.
I struggle with not starting out too fast in 5k's because they are so short I feel it's really hard to make up time if you start out too conservatively. Two other women (not the overall winner) went out what felt to be really fast out of the gate, so I surged with them. I was able to drop them some by the first loop but really started to struggle on the second loop and could feel myself slowing down. I tried to hang on and stay with the overall female winner, but couldn't hang on. I was really hoping to run closer to 19:35-19:40, but that was all my legs had yesterday. I was able to stay within 5 seconds of Felix so I was happy in that regard and we usually finish pretty close to each other.
Despite being a little disappointed in my time, things quickly started looking out when we found out Olympic Decathlete TREY HARDY was presenting the awards. I ended up winning a nice $45 gift card but was more excited to have my picture taken with him...haha!
![]() |
| Would have preferred a shower and some make up before a photo op but oh well... |
Next up: Pflugerville 5k Phun Run on Sunday. It's my last race before I turn 35 (HOW IS THIS HAPPENING!!) and age up to the next age group. :(
Anyone else race this weekend? Hope it went well!!







Well all I can say is WOO HOO you will be in a different age division then me!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are free of me for a year!
DeleteCongrats and have fun in your last race of the 30-34 age group! The first 5K looks like it could have been interesting with lots of dogs and mud! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was interesting...especially for the little dogs since some of the puddles were as deep as them :) I loved seeing all the dogs out there though - it was really cool!
DeleteYou still did freaking amazing on these back-to-back races. I'd love to get a sub 20-min 5k. one day. One day!!!! And hell no you don't look like you're turning 35. When is your birthday? I get two more years to be in a different age group than you. (Not that I'd even come close. Though, I looked at the 35-40 age group and GOD DAMN, they are fast. Holy crap. I better get my act together post-baby).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I am one of those that get beat with mommies and/or daddies pushing triple joggers with a dog on the leash. And no, they're not triathletes. LOL
PS: I could NEVER LAY OFF THE PIZZA AND FRENCH FRIES. NO NO NO.
Who am I kidding - I can never lay off the pizzas or the fries either. Life is too short for that ;)
DeleteYou can totally run sub 20 one day. I mean it. When I started running I was barely breaking 30 min. If I can do it, so can you :)
My birthday is May 21. Think I am going to take the day off from work and mourn :)
Oh, that's my anniversary and my SIL's birthday. Good day. So are you cusp? Do you consider yourself a Taurus or Gemini?
DeleteYep, I'm always on the cusp, depending on magazine I'm reading my horoscope out of :). I would definitely consider myself a Taurus. I certainly possess the stubborn traits of one :)
DeleteI have offered for you to run with my dog. She'd love it! She tends to look at me like, "What's the problem? Why aren't you going faster?" Bassets probably aren't he fastest. Though from experience they are really funny to watch run :)
ReplyDeleteYou are much faster than I am. You are more than welcome to use that as a pick-me-up anytime..."I'm still faster than Lexi." I'm ok with it.
Slightly more serious, I am glad you are able to re-find the reasons you enjoy running.
Yeah, I am not certain Lulu could have made it the whole way. And, Flash? Forget about it! He would have just laid down and refused to move about 20 yards in :) I do wish I had a dog to run with sometimes, but Dan won't agree to another dog!
DeleteLooking forward to seeing you in October!!
That is a beautiful hunk of man right there! I'd run faster to get a picture with him too :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you ran 2 5Ks in a row like that and dominated them both! You are amazing!
Yes, yes he is. :)
DeleteWe race together we must train together more!
ReplyDeleteI agree! You are my "rabbit" in races. I know if I can keep you in sight, I will have a good race! I'm up for running anytime!
Delete