The first race of my beloved Austin Distance Challenge, the IBM 10K, was yesterday morning. I wasn't as excited about this race as I usually am, mostly because I'm stressed with work right now and had to work all day Saturday instead of resting my poor little leggies (I know, I know, I need to quit whining!).
Anyway, got to the race Sunday morning and did a nice long warm-up. Quickly realized that this was going to be one of those days where running won't come easy. My legs felt tired and sore; and, I felt wiped out in general. I decided to just focus on beating my time from this race last year (42:51) and try try to run negative splits. If it didn't happen, it just wasn't my day and c'est la vie.
I started out conservatively and although my 2nd 5k was faster than my first, I never felt great in this race and never felt like my legs really warmed up. I crossed the finish line in 41:46 (6:44 pace) and was thrilled with that result. I beat my time from last year by over a minute and was able to pass three women ahead of me in the final mile. I learned from this race that I need more rest before a race!
This weekend is Longhorn 70.3 which I will not be racing, but just using it as a training swim/ride/run. Had I known how hectic this week and next are with work, I would not have signed up, but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right! :)
Happy training!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment