I subscribe to the Runner's World "Daily Kick in the Butt" which delivers a quote to my inbox every morning. This morning's quote was one I felt I had to share:
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked
back...play for her. -Mia Hamm
As I enter this training cycle completely focused on one end goal, that sub-3:10 marathon, it's easy to get so caught up in the training - hitting those goal paces, obsessing over splits and miles run, lamenting bad runs, being Garmin dependent- that you can forget where you came from. Why you started running in the first place.
I think back to circa 2004 - I had just moved to Texas after finishing up grad school in Louisville. I was out of shape and heavier than I wanted to be. I had done some running recreationally in college during my undergraduate years, and decided to slowly get back to it. When I returned to running, I did it without any expectation or pressure upon myself. I wore cotton running clothes; I ran without a Garmin (I didn't even own one); I wasn't fitted for proper running shoes; I didn't do any speed work; I avoided hills like the plague; I signed up for races just happy to finish. I ran because of the great feeling I would have when I finished a run. I was basically the complete opposite runner than I am today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I think we all need to step back every once in awhile and just be happy about running...thankful that we have the ability...and just step back for a second and not worry about competing....but just love running, because it's really such an amazing thing!
ReplyDeleteSomething that we all need reminded of from time to time regardless of our level.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder Erin! We definitely need to remember the "why" more often!! Have a happy Monday!
ReplyDeleteWow, you ran a half in cotton? Hardcore. :)
ReplyDeleteI also read that quote this morning. I loved it. You always manage to write such great running blogs that I can always find a way to relate to.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Allison! :) I love getting those quotes every day, they always give me motivation to get out the door. Hope you are doing well! You should come run with us sometime!
DeleteNice post! Now go kick some butt! :-)
ReplyDelete