Monday, July 30, 2012

Baltimore Marathon Training: Week 4

So with 4 weeks down, I haven't missed a single run. There's something so satisfying about crossing off that box after a workout. I was a little worried about how my workouts might pan out last week with both a high volume work week and training week, but it just required a little more time management. I have the same coming up these next two weeks - lots of work events and lots of training, but now that I know I can handle it, I'm not so worried about fitting everything in.

Last Week's Training:
Monday: 2200 yard swim. 

Tuesday: (AM) Run Group - 10 miles. (Lunch) 35 min strength/core. (PM) 2,550 yd swim
Tuesday's run group workout was:
2 miles continuous @ 1/2 marathon pace: 13:54/6:57 pace (2 min rest)
2x1 mile @10k pace (1 min rest in between): 6:44, 6:40
2x800m @5k pace (45 sec rest in between): 3:16 (6:32 pace); 3:17 (6:36 pace)

Wednesday: (AM) 14.1 mile run/8:37 pace. (Lunch) 1700 yd swim
These Wednesday runs are so tough for me. I can't figure out why they are so much tougher on me than my weekend long runs...maybe a combination of tired legs from Tuesday's speed work and general sleepiness from having to get up at the god awful hour of 4:30 to fit them in before work. But, I do think they are serving their purpose - it's great practice running on tired legs and definitely emulates those final few marathon miles.

Thursday: (AM) Run group - 11.6 miles; (Lunch) 30 min strength/core.
We headed to the track for Thursday's workout, which was 10x400 with 400m active recovery (so 10 400's fast/10 400's easy). I definitely lacked some pep in my step this morning and was a few seconds off my goal paces, but stayed pretty consistent. Fast 400 splits were average pace of 6:05: 1:31, 1:30, 1:32, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34, 1:33, 1:34, 1:32, 1:31.

Friday: (AM) 5 easy miles, watch-less. 

Saturday: 21 miles @8:01 pace. 1500m open water swim at Lake Pflugerville. 
I met up with the Teravista Running Group at 5:30 am in Round Rock and my friend Mick graciously agreed to run 21 with me so I didn't have to suffer through it alone. We averaged around 7:50 pace through the first 18.5 miles, then we both started to struggle from the combination of heat, hills and just tired legs in general. I was able to hold it together another 1/2 mile, then cruised in easy at 8:30 pace for the last two miles. Headed to the lake afterwards for an easy swim to flush away impending tightness.

Sunday: 8 easy miles @8:22 pace. 1500m long course swim at Williams Drive Pool.
I intended to cycle and then run today, but after the past 2 nights of little sleep I decided I needed to get some extra zzzzz's and nixed the bike ride. I actually didn't even start my run until 10 am which is bat shit crazy in the summer here because of the heat, but I got it done. Wrapped up the day with a long course swim. I'm really lacking on getting in my bike miles; I do have one duathlon left this summer, but it's only a 16 mile bike portion so I can wing it. Hope to get on my bike sometime this week.

Total Running Miles: 69 miles
On Tap Next Week: 66 miles



I'm feeling really good so far in this training cycle. While I've always trained pretty high mileage, I was really unsure of how my body would respond to post-injury to 60-70 miles weeks. But, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues. Maybe this is mental, but I really think that swimming has helped me. I'm in the pool 5 days a week - not necessarily for super long or hard swims - and I can really tell that my core has become a lot stronger (which is key for the long runs) and my legs haven't had near as much soreness when I am swimming consistently.

My attempt at cleaning up my diet has been pretty good. Far from perfect, but sometimes a girl just wants pizza...or candy. (No Mexican food yet though, major victory).
My husband loves to call me out for my candy addiction.
Happy training!

10 comments:

  1. Impressive mileage this week Erin! And you are probably right about the swimming helping you work out the soreness, or possible soreness.
    I can't believe you have stayed away from Mexican food. You are a better person than me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain! Dan's been eating my share of Mexican food :)

      Delete
  2. Red and pink starbrusts are the best. I'm so happy they sell packs of just the red ones now ;)

    Great training week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT - they sell packs of just the red ones, now? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT!? You made my day.

      Delete
  3. This is just a silly awesome week of training. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. Don't know about awesome, but definitely silly :)

      Delete
  4. Erin - just tremendous work this week. That mid-week long (14) and weekend long (21) are building a strong marathoner for this fall's race.

    So impressive in these steamy conditions. You are doing great. Keep up the good work Erin and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joe! Man, those mid-week runs are tough but I know they will pay off. I appreciate your kind words. You are looking strong too, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Great workout week Erin! I am especially impressed with days like Tuesday where you did 3 workouts! That is so cool!
    I also have a sweet tooth, especially towards chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! :) My sweet tooth seems to hit like clock work around 2 in the afternoon...then again after dinner!

      Delete