My random Tuesday thoughts brought to you by the inability to focus on any one thing in particular:
- Last night I found myself at Baskin Robbins. The good news is that I got sherbet (not that it's healthy but it's healthier than Rocky Road Double Crunch or whatever). The bad news is that I got two scoops. And on a waffle cone. The very bad news is that the sherbet (Strawberry Lemonade) was fantastic, so I'll probably be back this week. Eff this so called diet, I hate you.
- Just to clarify, my goal for cleaning up my diet was not intended for weight loss, but rather for performance. Basically, to see if eating better makes me run faster. My diet hasn't been perfect. It is far from it. I cheat a lot (see Baskin Robbins). And, I have an abnormally large appetite, even for a runner. However, my diet has been cleaner for this training cycle than it ever has been. It's been hard to judge results though. I know fueling with healthy foods is especially important during marathon training, so I'm doing my best to stick with it. I have a tendency to
stress eat sometimes (read: candy) and I don’t cook so it makes eating out too easy (I’m working on this).
- I am getting sick of Facebook. I cannot log into my account without the news feed being over run by political rants and baby pictures. Between the heated Obama Care debate and how you are evil if you eat at Chick-Fil-A, it's getting old. I have really no problem with the baby pictures other than they take up all my news feed, but the ultrasound as a profile picture thing? They pretty much all look the same to me.
- A few lessons I'm learning in this training cycle (aka marathon training for a PR in the summer): It takes support. It takes
patience. It takes discipline. It takes, well, just plain old bull-headedness.
- Question: What do adults wear to bed? I'm serious. Incorrect answers include: nothing and things with long pants or long sleeves (I live in Texas and it is always so hot and if I am hot at night I am convinced that I will die of awfulness).
I currently sleep in some oversized boxer shorts and whatever shirts I have stolen from my husband. The problem is that the shorts have lost their elasticity and thus their ability to stay on. It isn't pretty. I know I could buy more boxer shorts but it doesn't feel very adult. I don't want clingy. But I also want it to be something that I don't necessarily have to put a robe over if I have to sneak into my own backyard.
- I've run 18 marathons and this is the first marathon that I've followed a training plan for. I thought I would hate it, but I really like it. Crossing off workouts hanging on my wall is the best motivation I could have ever asked for. No matter how I am feeling or
what has happened the day before, I am running when my alarm goes off. No ifs ands
or buts. I just do it. I am working towards a goal and I won't let anything stop me. I didn't have that kind of attitude when I’m not following a
training plan.
- I did 10 miles this morning, 6 of those miles were purely hill repeats. And it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would.
- I love my basset hounds to death but damn they shed a lot. I have been vacuuming EVERY DAY and filling up the vacuum cleaner with dog hair each time.
- As I mentioned the other day, I have still not had any Mexican food whatsoever since I began this training cycle. Mostly because I will stuff my face with a basket of chips then eat an entire meal every time I step foot in a Mexican food joint. Dan tried to make the argument to me last night that it is possible to eat healthy at a Mexican food restaurant. I countered that if I am going to eat Mexican food, I sure as hell don't want to eat something healthy - especially while he stuffs his face with something 10x more appetizing. Which is why I've avoided it altogether.
- I have really enjoyed watching the Olympic Swimming. I have not enjoyed the fact that they can swim 200m faster than I can swim 100m. Damn, I'm slow.
I love it! Your brain works similar to mine. For PJ's, tank tops are my fav...with boxers..easy peasy...buy a 3-pack that fits you in colors you like! Good luck on the nutrition!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cristen! :)
DeleteI have a pair of lucky brand women's boxers and they are really nice. I think I bought them at Ross or somewhere like that. They are boxer styling without droopy butt :)
ReplyDeleteI am a sight to see too....big tees and shorts, I def do not dress up.
Now about this Mexican food thing....you are lucky you are on one basket of chips...I can easily eat two, and I agree you can't hold back and eat healthy with Mexican food. Just not possible!
And, you need to try that Zydeco ice, I think you will like it more than sherbert.
And last but not least!!!! 6 miles of hills!! Nice!
Thanks for the recommendations! I think my boxers are circa 1999 so I am sure there are more trendy options available now. Mine has turtles on them or some shit so I am sure I look like I am 12.
DeleteI need to try to Zydeco ice. A co-worker was raving about that the other day! Let me know the next time you guys go!! :)
Hey Erin - I'm enjoying your blog! Totally agree with you on the babies taking over my FB wall - I don't get the ultrasound pics either!! And I was thinking the exact same thing about Olympic swimming - it's awesome, but dang, I'm slow...
ReplyDeleteHi Britt! Thanks for stopping by! Yes - the ultrasound pictures are a mystery to me. The other day I got a Facebook friend request- the name wasn’t familiar, so I checked the person’s profile picture to see if that would jog my memory. Their profile picture was a picture of an ultrasound - uh...don't think I went to high school with any ultrasounds :)
DeleteSo funny about the Olympic swimming - I was noticing that the winners swim 200 meters faster than I can usually swim 50. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteHi Pahla! Thanks for your note. Don't feel bad. What I failed to mention is, not only did the last place person swimming the 200m swim faster than I swim 100m, they swam it MUCH MUCH faster :). They make it look so easy (I just make swimming look really ugly!).
DeleteI am completely with you on the mexican food thing!! If I'm going to eat it, it's going to be bad for me and really good! I have to stay away myself!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the training - I love crossing things off my schedule as well!
Thank you! I told my husband going to a Mexican restaurant and ordering some healthy (and not eating any chips!) would be akin to going to a steak house and ordering a salad!
DeleteFirst off, I go to steak houses all the time and order salads. But that is my choice since I am a veggie :)
ReplyDeleteSecond, you run full marathon in pretty much the same time it takes me to do a half. So, I feel no putty for you watching professional athletes from around the world.
Ok, that was enough of that.
I love my training plan. I love being able to put happy faces on days. That is the best part of running so far on the weekend.
I feel ya on the hair. So so much. But the animals stay. I know you agree with me there.
Love the random thoughts. They make me smile.
And, I make running look ugly. But I get it done. Can't say I swim...that looks even worse.
DeleteI am not even going to describe my pjs. It is a running joke with Mark about how not good they are.
Hey, at least you get it done. That's what counts. At the pool where I swim, the lifeguards are college swimmers - I secretly think they make fun of how ridiculous I look swimming :)
DeleteAnd, I actually order salad at steak houses too :) When Dan forces me to go to those!
DeleteHave you tried using a Furminator brush? I use that on Peanut and it helps with the shedding...a LOT.
ReplyDeleteEven for my own fetus, the ultrasound pic looks like a blob. I just don't get showing that to other people. "Hey, want to see what the inside of my uterus looks like in creepy black and white??"
Thanks for the recommendation, Kara! I haven't tried the Furminator brush. I'll pick one up!
Delete+1 on the Furminator. Highly effective.
ReplyDeleteI'm on it! Dog hair be gone!
DeleteErin - they are not lying about the Furmniator. We have a second Kayla when we are done using that thing. Not surprised at all that you are loving the training plan - I've never gone without one, so I can't make a comparison - but I do know that during marathon training I never miss a workout unless I am hurt or sick. Ever. You just hit off on the alarm clock and it's on like donkey kong.
ReplyDeleteStay out of Baskin Robbins Erin. It's the fat calories that I try to cut back on during a cycle - not the total calories as you are burning those off like a machine. Plenty of good to eat things that are low in fat calories.
I think I ran NYC 25% on Twizzler alone ....
Thanks for the +3 on the Furminator! I'm headed to Petsmart after work to pick one up. My vacuum cleaner will thank me.
DeleteI can deal with the Twizzler/Ice Cream trade off...love those things. If only eating them would make me as fast as you....