Somehow Friday snuck up on me this week - which usually doesn't happen, but it's been a really busy week at work. And, with the weekend, comes a 10K tomorrow in Lampasas, Texas. I've not run this race before, but I've been told it's a hilly beast, which would explain the name of the race - The Toughest 10k in Texas.
I actually welcome the hills and, of course, the obvious challenge of racing a 10k in the heart of the Texas summer heat. I welcome it all. Bring it on. All of it. The harder I work training through the Texas heat, the stronger runner I will become and in turn the better I will race come The Baltimore Marathon in October (which *should* be much cooler than any weather I will have trained in here). Baltimore also boasts a hilly course, so the more I can race on hills, the better off I will be. Hills don't scare me, if anything, I tend to race better on hillier courses.
While drinking my coffee this morning, I thought about my goals for this race. And, I don't really have any other than to run a strong race. This isn't an "A" race for me, nor have I altered any of my workouts this week to rest for it. I'd like to run not only a strong race, but a smart race. For some reason in 10k's, the middle miles always get me. I start out too fast for the first mile, miles 2-3 always seems to be abysmal, then I'm able to pick it up the last two. Tomorrow I hope to run the first three miles pretty evenly and somewhat conservatively, then drop the hammer the last 3 miles. If I can come in under 42 minutes, that will be great. If not, then no biggie.
I'm ready to do my best tomorrow - whatever that may be.
Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteI hope the race went well! I can't wait to hear about it!
ReplyDelete