I didn't really have a plan for this race. As I said on Facebook, I just wanted to finish the year off strong and run a race I was proud of. Dan couldn't make the trip with me, so I was traveling alone and on my own. As soon as I got done with work on Saturday, I packed up the car and made the 1 hr 45 min drive to College Station. Picked up my packet, went to the mall for some Christmas shopping, had an early dinner at Jason's Deli, watched the Heisman presentation then lights out around 8:30 PM. As usual, I slept pretty fitfully. Since Johnny Football
Woke up at 4:45 and first thing I did was check the weather on my phone. I guess I was hoping the cold front would come through a day early (because today the high is in the 40's!!) but no such luck. The weather gods weren't going to play nice. No pain, no glory, right?
Made it to the race start around 5:45 and was able to park pretty close to the start/finish line. The race started and finished right next to a mall which was awesome because there was tons of close parking. I did my normal 2 mile warm-up and decided at the last minute to change my outfit. I ended up changing into the exact same outfit I've worn my past 2 marathons. Don't know what it is, but out of the 10 zillion pairs of running shorts/tops I own, I feel like this particular outfit is lucky. So I literally stripped in my car. My apologies to anyone who may have been walking by and got a show. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Race start was 7 AM. I decided I would run with the 3:15 pace group (fastest they had). I really wanted to make sure I ran even splits and felt like a 3:15 was an attainable goal. Obviously, I didn't make it (I ran a 3:19) but sadly no one from the 3:15 pack made the cut...not even the pacer who started to walk at Mile 18...yeah...
A note about the pace group. I've generally had really good experiences with pace groups, but occasionally you get some that aren't as experienced. Lucky for me, I wasn't dependent on this group. I really just wanted some company and someone to keep me in check from going out too fast. The pacer was super nice, said he ran a sub 3 marathon at the Chicago Marathon in October, but admitted he didn't have experience pacing. This became evident pretty quickly (and nothing against him, I know it's a hard job).
The first seven miles went by relatively quickly. We had a large pack of 3:15ers (me and a bunch of dudes) and it was really nice to have company to take my mind off of the conditions. It was just so damn humid that I was having trouble finding air if that makes sense. Miles 1-7 were 7:16, 7:21, 7:18, 7:19, 7:27, 7:25, 7:14. I was matching the pacer step for step and as you can see we were too fast for a 3:15 (7:27 avg pace) and pretty sporadic with the splits. I guess I could have slowed down and gone on my own, but I really wanted company because I knew later on the pack would fall apart, as it always tends to do, and I would be on my own.
Around Mile 7, I saw my friend Dorothy from my run group. I was so excited see her and her cheers throughout the day were a bright part in my day. She told me I was 5th woman, and at this point I could see #4 not that far ahead.
I kept on trucking with the 3:15 group. We were still in tact at this point. Miles 8-10 were 7:24, 7:18, 7:18. Still too fast. We caught the #4 woman around Mile 8.5, but she jumped into our group and ran a few steps behind me until Mile 13. The pace felt comfortable at this point, but my leg started bothering me. Much of the course was on a slanted road which my left leg (the bad one) did not appreciate. I got the "leg lock" feeling a few times over the next couple of miles and fell a few steps behind.
Miles 11-13, I struggled. 7:24, 7:20, 7:26. Mile 12 marked the casualties of much of our pace group as well.
Crossing the half-way split, it was just myself, the pacer and 2 other guys. The sun came out, and I am really having to dig deeper and deeper to stay on pace. The humidity is beating me down and my legs feel like dead weights. Around Mile 14.5, I fall back from the pacer and let him go.
Miles 15-17, I am HATING life. Like cursing Texas, its weather and myself for signing up for another marathon. I am running alone and just wanting to be done. I see the #3 woman ahead though, and will myself to try and keep her in sight. I wasn't sure that I could catch her, but it seemed like I was closing the gap. Those miles ticked by slowly at 7:31, 7:41 and 7:42.
Around Mile 17, I find myself side by side with another guy from the 3:15 pace group, and we start chatting. His name was Andy, he was from Austin as well, and he turned out to be a godsend. He kept me moving forward and took my mind off the pain. Plus, he went to A&M, so I had a personal tour guide for the miles I ran with him. Chances that he reads this is slim, but just in case, thank you Andy.
Just past Mile 17, we meet back up with our pacer who is at this point walking. Poor guy was very apologetic and tells us to keep going but he can't. At this point, I am not very far behind the third place woman. Andy and I make the pass around Mile 18, and I recognize her from San Antonio! She was the 2nd place woman that I passed around the exact same point in that race - talk about deja vu. She is super nice and gracious in the pass. We joked briefly about how the marathon gods must hate us with the crappy weather these last 2 marathons. I didn't see her afterwards, but I hope she ended up finishing strong.
I saw my friend Dorothy around Mile 19 and again her cheers kept me going. It’s pretty amazing how seeing a familiar face can revitalize you in a race. I told her I was struggling but just trying to stay strong.
I ran with Andy until around Mile 21, and I would definitely have slowed down had it not been for him. It was getting more and more lonely out there, and I was thankful for the company. Miles 18-21 were 7:36, 7:29, 7:29, 7:48. We were pretty much running alone at this point, and through campus where it wasn't always clear where to turn and at one point veered off course, but only for a few seconds thankfully.
I pulled ahead of Andy when we hit mile 21 and from there on out I was alone (until we merged with the half marathoners, then I was dodging them). Mile 22 is when things started to unravel. Each step harder than the last because at this point my body hates me, my legs feel like sand bags, and I cannot get enough water to quench an overwhelming thirst. I took water and gatorade at every single water stop, but still feel dehydrated and to be honest, just plain old fucking tired.
Mile 22 is when we merge with the half marathoners, and I am dodging them while trying just to keep moving forward. I keep telling myself only 4 more miles. That's nothing. Only 4 freaking miles.
I actually ended up passing several marathoners in the final four miles. Not because I was running fast, but because I was one of the few still running. A lot of people walked. I could feel their pain, but it still surprised me to see runners stopping on that final miles. At that point, it was easier to push ahead and finish strong. Besides, walking would just extend the hardship. But, that being said, I have walked before in marathons and sometimes you simply cannot run another step.
Miles 22-26 were somewhat of a death march for me: 7:49, 7:43, 7:42, 7:52, 7:44 and 7:04 pace for the last .6 (according to Garmin). They kept feeling longer and longer. To be honest, this is the part of the race where I am a little disappointed in myself. Instead of racing for the best time I could possibly run on that day, I just ran for third place. I knew there wasn't a woman close behind me, and woman #2 was nowhere in sight. Had she been, maybe I would have run stronger those final miles? I don't know. I just felt like I kind of gave up mentally and accepted whatever time the clock would read. But sometimes I also think you gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them. Maybe I could have run a few minutes faster but would it have really mattered? Third place was third place.
My Garmin beeped 26 miles...then 26.2...then 26.4...then 26.5... and I am wondering WHERE THE HELL IS THE DAMN FINISH LINE??? Seriously, I was cooked - both mentally and physically. Finally saw the finish line and nearly trampled some half marathon walkers trying to get across it (sorry).
Crossed the line in 3:19:29, stumbled around aimlessly until I gathered myself and made the way to my car to change clothes before the awards ceremony. Realized I didn't bring a change of clothes for the car ride home, cursed myself for being an idiot then sat around until the Marathon Awards ceremony at 11:30.
The awards ceremony was nice. Pretty short and sweet. I didn't realize this at the time, but this was a money race so I ended up winning $200 cash. That was a nice surprise.
The car ride home was in many ways more painful than the actual marathon. I couldn’t find a comfortable position in my seat. My feet hurt and my ass hurt and by the time I got home my entire body radiated with pain.
Marathons always teach me something. This one, similar to San Antonio, taught me a thing or two in humility, perseverance, and outright pain & suffering. I learned that I can push through anything and still cross that finish line. I learned that despite what you think or what you predict, the situation you’re in at that moment can change in an instant, and how you adapt reflects on who you are.
Likes:
- Relatively low registration fee comparative to Rock & Roll, Austin & Dallas marathons.
-Great swag: received a long sleeve shirt upon check in and dri-fit finishers shirt at the finish line.
-Awesome post race spread, including 3 different types of beer and margaritas.
-Extremely well organized. Fantastic communication via participants on Facebook. Probably the best use of social media I seen from a race director.
Dislikes:
-Not much crowd support. Texas A&M students, where were you? Probably sleeping. Don't blame you.
-Camber on much of the route. Running on slanted roads is very painful for my hip/leg/hamstring.
-Course was kind of boring. I don't know what I was expecting, but it seemed a lot of it was running on highways.
I am hobbling around like a 90 yr old woman today. I think the culmination of 3 marathons in a row, combined with a big year of running in general, has left my tank on empty. I used to be able to run back to back marathons like it ain't no thing, but I guess it's time to face the fact that I am no longer a spring chicken and need to take time to recover and take a break from structured training. And, believe me, I am looking forward to it. I have some big goals and big plans for 2013, but for now I need to step back and take a breather before attacking those goals. I'll be spending a lot of time in the pool and getting back to core work and most importantly on things that don't involve sweating. I'll work out when I feel like, but on my own terms.
Thanks for reading my ramblings and for all of the encouragement along the way! I really do appreciate it. I started this blog as a journal for myself, never expecting that anyone would care to read it, but the support and encouragement I have received along the way has been overwhelming. Thank you.

Great race report, Erin! I was thinking about the Dallas and College Station runners when I woke up Sunday morning, and the cold front hadn't arrived yet. I keep saying No More Texas Marathons, too, because of the crazy weather! You're so crazy strong in bad conditions, the last two years in SA and now this! You have a great way of feeding off other people's energy, the people you race with and the friends you see on course. That's a big strength that a lot of people don't have. Heal up and don't run any marathons for a few weeks!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tom! I had a fleeting thought last week that maybe I would sign up for a New Years Day marathon being held in Dallas, but quickly shook myself back to reality and squashed that stupid idea :)
DeleteThank you for reading my race report, and I hope you guys have a very Merry Christmas!
This is my fourth attempt in trying to comment!!! I'm determined.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing race report. Reading this made me feel like I was there. From the pacer who had to walk, to Andy keeping you company and you being tour guide, to passing female #3 who happened to be the same female you passed last marathon. Btw, was she wearing the same race outfit too?!? You really should consider that as your race uniform. It has brought you so much luck. A PR, 2nd female and cash and 3rd female and cash. Hmmmm, as a matter of fact, can I borrow that outfit??? (Only if it guarantees me a BQ, HA!).
Anyhow, congratulations again. I can't wait to see what's in store for 2013. You inspire me, motivate me, make me want to be a better and faster runner. Thank you for that. Rest up and recover.
PS I ended up having to copy and paste from my iPhone and then emailing it so I could comment this morning.
I'm sorry Blogger was being a pain in the butt! Thank you as always for your kind and thoughtful words - they are very much appreciated.
DeleteI don't know what it is about that outfit, but the past two marathons I've had other outfits picked out and changed at the last minute.
Funny thing about the girl I passed - she was actually wearing the same outfit as well. Which is one of the ways I recognized her. I guess I'm not the only one who likes to stick to the same!
Keep up the hard work with your marathon training. I see a BQ in your future ;)
Good job Erin! The humidity was so crappy on sunday...way to push through it...sorry about the pacers, I feel bad for that guy, must have been hard for him to have to walk!
ReplyDeleteAwesome finish to the year!!
Thank you, Rain! You've been a great friend and training partner through everything and have gotten me thru some tough runs. I appreciate you!
DeleteCongratulations, Erin! Your racing prowess is amazing!! I'm sorry that Dan nor the bicycle escort were there to take pictures. Enjoy the week!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ingrid! Happy Holidays to you, and I hope to see you at a race soon!
DeleteGreat job Erin! Gotta love Texas weather! I ran the Dallas Marathon full on Sun, humid as a muther$&&@! Yeah, 4 hrs after we were done, temps drop to the 40s. Congrats on your 3rd place finish, you seriously rock.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jason! And, congrats on your marathon! Yeah, crazy that it got in the 20's the next few nights. Would have appreciated that cooler weather for Sunday. Marathon weather gods hate us I guess :)
Delete