Thursday, May 6, 2010

Some funny, some not so funny musings of an Ironman in training...

Ironman training and work take up most of my time. The rest of spent taking care of the dogs, eating and sleeping (not enough). Any free time I do have, I like enjoy a good book, hang out with my husband or catch up on my backlogged DVR. There are definitely things I should be doing, but they are the last things I want to do with my precious time. There are a few things I've noticed lately that have really taken a hit since I began this training.
  • The house. It's a disaster. I'm seriously considering hiring someone to come clean it. I'm trying to convince the husband it would be well worth the money.

  • I've always been an avid bed maker. Make the bed every morning, as soon as I get up. This hasn't happened in months.

  • Staying up to date on current events. Shamefully, I am in my own little world and have little to no idea what's going on in the world. I spent my time surfing triathlon websites and Ironman chat rooms, instead of on cnn.com. I feel very out of touch.

  • My attention to my appearance or what I'm wearing. I tend to think that I am capable of going out in public without a paper bag over my head. However....looking at myself lately tends to make me believe otherwise. I used to pick out my outfit for work the night before, coordinate it with jewelry, fix my hair nicely and put on make up in the morning. This rarely happens anymore. Part of it time crunch - I always have a long workout in the morning, up at 4:45 am, done at 7:15 am then rushed to walk the dogs and get to work- part of it is knowing I am going to work out again at lunch so why waste time fixing myself up, and part of it is just general apathy (I've got bigger things to worry about. Like an Ironman). I pretty much always work out at lunch as well. In trying to maximize my workout during that period, I leave myself 45-50 min to work out and about 8 min to shower and get back to the office. Unfortunately, that eight minutes does not leave me time to dry my hair or apply much make-up, so I return to the office hair wet and in some sort of ponytail/braid, and usually with horrific goggle marks under my eyes since I usually use that time to swim. It's not pretty.

  • Related to the aforementioned. My hair. It needs cut BAD. My feet. They need a pedicure BAD.

  • Also related to the aforementioned. My wardrobe. I have a closet full of nice clothes, but I wear workout clothes 99% of the time. Even my work attire has probably gotten a bit too casual. There is no coordinating outfits for work. It now consists of grabbing what is closest to me in my closet, which I seem to be rotating the same outfits over and over because they always end up closest to me. This morning I pulled down a pair of wrinkled shorts and decided they would do. No need to iron them. Weekends? After I finish my workouts and shower I either a) put on a clean t-shirt and running shorts or b) put on my pj's. Post-workout in the evenings? Meet Dan at a restaurant on the way home wearing my sweating biking/running/swimming clothes TO THE RESTAURANT because I'm tired and hungry and it would take too much effort to go home and shower first. Seriously people, I am at hot mess.
  • My dogs. I used to give them a bath once a week. I can't remember the last time I bathed them. Which probably makes them quite happy.
I am sure I could go on and on and on and on but I should be working.

Dan and I are headed to Lake Pflugerville tonight to get in some open water swim practice. Then probably straight to dinner in our wet clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment