Some of you may remember my posts from this time last year regarding the ever-dreaded (to me) Office Holiday Luncheon.
During lunch time today I will be swimming, then afterwards I’ll sitting at my desk eating my packed lunch alone. Don’t feel sorry for me, though. The hardest part is over.
You see, I’m a faithful brown bagger. The majority of my colleagues go out to lunch every day, but I use my lunch hour to work out.
But today is the Office Holiday Thanksgiving Luncheon. I quit going to these for several reasons: 1) There is literally nothing I can eat. Just to give you an idea, the menu includes ham, deep fried turkey, frito pie, chocolate pie and other unhealthy items. While this probably sounds great to some, it just doesn't to me. 2) In the past, I would make an effort to bring something healthy, like a fruit or veggie tray. But I would be the only one who would eat it and then be the asshole who brought fruit to the Thanksgiving Lunch. 3) There are always several no-fail comments from one particular co-worker about how I never eat anything at so-called lunch or probably at all, which must be the reason I'm so skinny. 4) I prefer to use my lunch hour to workout. And, it is after all, my lunch hour.
Saying no to the holiday lunch is no easy feat. In addition to the email reminders I’ve received for the past few days, about 10 people stopped by my desk this morning to remind me. “It’s the office luncheon today! I know you normally bring a lunch, but you’re coming today, right?” I politely declined. “You’re not coming? Oh, come on, you can eat leftovers any day! It’s the office luncheon!” Through all the pressure, I stood my ground.
Many people just cannot fathom why I wouldn’t want to join them. They think that if they ask me several times with varying degrees of insistence, I might change my mind. Some people get downright pushy. While I appreciate the invitations, enough is enough.
Now before you label me an evil antisocial Thanksgiving hater, hear me out. I like (most of) my co-workers. But, to be perfectly honest, I have never been one to get excited about Thanksgiving cuisine. I don't eat turkey, nor do I like stuffing, cranberry sauce or pie. So, when Thanksgiving rolls around this Thursday, I will probably have a salad. And, today is the only day this week I'll be able to swim, so I am not going to skip that to sit in on a lunch where I wouldn't eat anything anyways.
So, No I Don't Want to Eat Your Thanksgiving Lunch, But I Still Like You!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment