Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why I love to run

Sometimes I am asked what it is about running that I love so much. I always pause, taken aback by the question, as if I am being asked why I love my husband, my family, my friends, or my dogs.

I just do.

But after probing more into my instinctual and immediate response, I start to realize that there are many reasons why I love to run. The answer I give you will depend on the day, the distance, the time, my mood, my body, my sleep, and various other factors.

This morning the reason I ran was for mental health.

I knew it was going to be a busy day at work as we are preparing for a workshop we're hosting on Friday. I knew that today’s run would serve the purpose of boosting my mental health and centering me, preparing for the work ahead. Today I just craved a run like nothing else.

I am still what most professional runners would consider a novice. I didn't run in high school or college. I don't have a running coach, nor am I part of an elite running team. But, I love to run.

Running to me, is a cathartic, euphoric experience. Everything is quiet, my mind can wander. I feel like when I am running, I am the best of who I am. I feel strong, confidant, and satisfied.

Running is like a drug for me and I am thankful every day that I get to go out and pound the pavement. Life is good when I can get in a good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment