Thursday, September 8, 2011

Please Come to Boston

(quick! name that tune! ^^ )

Anyway, the post-it note pictured below has been taped to my computer since the Boston Athletic Association made their announcement about the change in qualifying standards for the 2012 race.
I ran Boston back in 2009, and had the time of my life. I had to sit out in 2010 because it was too close to Ironman CDA, and since the 2011 race sold out in less than 8 hours, I didn't get a spot in last year's race either.

I haven't blogged about the change in qualifying standards. I was hesitant to say much as I was selfishly highly in favor of the new standards because it benefits me and gives me a better chance to get a spot. Just being honest. I hope this post does not offend anyone, as these are just my opinions. There has been some controversy, and I while understand both sides, I still think the Boston Athletic Association made the best decision...and, I believe that I would hold true to that even if the new standards affected me perversely.

There is nothing like it in the world. Boston. The Boston Marathon. I can't even put into words how amazing an experience it is. I thought it might be something I do once, but after experiencing it first hand, I was determined to go back. Beginning with the 2012 registration, the B.A.A. is instituting a rolling admission. Basically the faster qualifying times for each division are rewarded. For the first week of registration (beginning on Monday, Sept. 12), those who ran their qualifier 20 minutes faster than the standard will get to register. During the second week if spots remain, those who ran their qualifier 10 minutes faster can register. Later in the week, if spots still remain, everyone will get to register but priorities are still given to the faster runners.

I commend the BAA for coming up with a unique system to address the needs of the rather vocal minority of fast runners who didn't get a slot last year due to the quick sell out. This could have gone a number of ways, and I like that the one race that has qualifying standards leaned towards honoring the fastest runners. It all seems very fair to me and I like that it maintains the elite status of the Boston Marathon. It should be hard to get in to. I think this will make Boston an even more elite race and will motivate those who just barely made the standard to train even harder. Being a Boston qualifier will be an even greater badge of honor under the new standards.


Personally, I would prefer that Boston didn't allow any non-qualifying runners in the race, no matter how noble their cause. This is supposed to be an elite race. Charity runners don't gain admission to the Olympic Trials; nor should they take away spots from hard-working qualifiers at a prestigious event like Boston. This may seem harsh, but there are plenty of other marathons at which people can raise money for charity. I could not in good conscience run Boston if I did not meet the qualifying standard for my age group, knowing that faster runners were missing out on the experience.


For 2013, they will have the same process and also reduce all qualifying times by 5 minutes and 59 seconds. On this note, I think that they should have made just the female times more strict. The women's qualifying time is soft. I'm sorry, but it is. The difference between the marathon world record for women and men is less than 12 minutes. I am a female myself (obviously), but I feel like there is an unfair discrepancy in the qualifying times between men and women. I would bet a lot more women are qualifying in that 20 min faster time slot than men.

Anyway, I am interested to see how fast the race sells out this year with the rolling admission process. Over time, I hope that a lot of people will see it as motivational, instead of a negative thing.

4 comments:

  1. Even though I am nowhere near qualifying for Boston I agree with your opinion and their rolling standards (even if I never make it). Some races should should be elite. I respect everyone's individual ability to finish a marathon whether it be sub 3 hr or 6 + hrs; however, I still like a race that has qualifying standards. Honestly, looking at the JFK 50, I thought that their qualifying times were pretty soft as well. As for women having it easier...I think that's everywhere. In the Marine Corps, female Marines have a much easier time maxing out their Physical Fitness Test than male Marines do. Suck is life I guess (even though I am sure you could kick my ass any day of the week!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that the JFK standards are a little soft. I was surprised...I would think they have the demand to tighten them a little? As far as Boston, as a 33 year old woman I need a 3:40 to qualify; my male counterpart would need to run a 3:10. That a huge difference in a marathon...just seems a little unfair to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am nowhere near qualifying for anything that has a qualifying time, no will I ever. I agree though.

    As for naming that tune, can't, and that is bothering me! So, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 'Please come to Boston' originally sung by Dave Loggins, but Kenny Chesney did a remake. Great song!

    ReplyDelete