Monday, September 12, 2011

Put a fork me in, I'm D-O-N-E

Good news: I survived another week of JFK 50-miler training. 76.74 miles done.
Bad news: I didn't come away unscathed. I'm now sporting some sweet bruises, cuts, swollen knots on my legs and cactus thorns in my body...oh, and, some sore legs.

Rewind. I put in some pretty hard workouts leading into this weekend. Monday was an easy 3.5 mile trail run. Tuesday ended up being just under 10 miles (9.96) with a ladder hill workout thrown in there from our Tuesday run group workout. Wednesdays are usually easy recovery days for me, but I ran with two guys who are faster than me and it turned into a 6.67 mile 7:40ish paced run. Thursday was run group again, so 11+ miles total with 5 of those miles tempo miles at 7 min pace. I added in a swim workout (Wednesday) and a spinning workout (Tuesday) during lunch, so by Friday I was more than ready for my rest day. I was headed into my biggest running weekend ever, and was a little nervous.

Saturday's long run was 28.1 miles at 8:37 pace. I normally run with Mick & Mark on Saturdays, but they both had other obligations so I hoped I could find someone else to run with at normal the 6:30 am Saturday run group. I got a head start, getting in 7 miles before meeting back at 6:30 am for the group run. Luckily, another friend was there and I was able to run 17 miles with her. Good company made the miles go by so much faster. That left me just 4 miles to run on my own to wrap up the run. I felt pretty good until the 26 mile mark then I just wanted to be done. I managed to get through it, but after this run, I was cooked. I don't EVER take naps, and I took a nap after this one. Dan told me he's never seen me this exhausted after a workout. I had plans to run with Mick on Sunday, and seriously considered backing out. I was not convinced I was going to be able to walk, much less run on Sunday. Dan suggested playing it by ear and seeing how I felt in the morning. I was in bed by 7:45 pm on Saturday night and out like a light.

On Sunday, I had plans to meet Mick at Russell Park at 6:30 am for some miles on the road, and then we planned to join the Georgetown Trail runners for their trail run at Rusell Park. I woke up Sunday morning, and despite some overall sluggishness, decided that I would be okay to run. I smothered by legs in Icy Hot (stunk up the whole house by doing so), ate breakfast and was on my way. For those of you who don't know Mick, he's fast. I can hang when I have fresh legs...but trying to keep up with him on tired legs proved to be a challenge. We set off at sub-8 pace and immediately I am breathing hard and my heart rate is sky high. I didn't want to be a wimp, so I didn't say anything, but he was kind enough to ask if we needed to slow down, and I meekly replied at we did. Still, we knocked at 9 miles at an 8:10 pace. After about 3 miles, my legs woke up and I began to start feeling better.

The next part of the run - on the trails - is where the adventure began. I was in desperate need of getting in some trail practice for JFK. Luckily (or perhaps unlucky), the course the Georgetown Trail runners were running was a technical course, full of rocks and switchbacks. It required my intense concentration at all times. I tried not to be concerned about my pace. I wanted to run fast on the trails, but I also did not want to break a leg trying to do so. Everything was going well until about mile 15. At that point, Mick got hit by a low branch, which ultimately resulted in 3 stitches an a tetanus shot to his ear. At mile 16, I face planted on a rock and a cactus. Quite the combo, let me tell you. I was tired at this point, and just was not picking up my feet enough - kapow! Down I go. I got right back up and decided to access the damage later - I just wanted to be done. We ended up with 17.27 miles for the day at a 9:26 avg pace. Despite a few bruises and cactus thorns all over my body, I am fine. I really enjoyed the trail running, I just need more practice, particularly on technical trails.

Despite good intentions to get a lot of stuff done yesterday, including some much needed house cleaning, I did nothing but lay on the couch the rest of the day with my basset hound watching mindless garbage on TV. I am not one to lay around on the weekends, but I had no energy to do anything but that.

I am feeling better this morning. I have some soreness, but I am not walking around like a 90 year old woman like I was yesterday. I am hoping an easy swim at lunch will work out some of the lingering soreness. The next two weeks will be much needed step back weeks for me. I look forward to some "shorter long runs" and giving my legs a little break from the constant pounding that comes from the back-to-back long runs.

Below are some pictures of my trail adventures :)
Getting in some practice on the trails...
  
Georgetown Trail Runners!

 Mick and I post run (notice his bloody ear!)
You might be asking yourself 2 questions when looking at this picture:
1) Did Erin pee her pants? Answer: No. That is sweat in some unfortunate places.
2) How did Erin end up with mud all over her on a dry trail? It hasn't been raining in Texas... Answer: I am quite sure I landed in manure when I fell. And, yes, it's all over my hands as well.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a hectic but impressive run! Can't believe Mick needed stitches! Great mileage again this weekend Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooohooo! I'm so glad there is someone as crazy (although - you may be a little crazier) as me to go through this JFK 50 training. How does this compare to Ironman training in regards to time, recovery, soreness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! @Jessica - For me, I think the 50 miler training is harder as far as recovery, soreness, stress on your body etc. I am slow swimmer & average biker, so swimming/biking provides my legs with a break from all of the pounding of running since I'm not killing it in either of those legs. Ironman training is definitely more time consuming (due to long hours on the bike) but I think 50 miler training is harder on the body.

    ReplyDelete