Sunday, October 21, 2012

Celebration Week!

Usually after a big race I give myself a day or two and then I am all business again - looking ahead to my next big race and ready to charge ahead.

This time around was a little different. After a training cycle filled with ups and downs that took a lot out of me mentally and physically, I deemed last week Celebration Week! My husband was more than happy to oblige and we spent last week eating pure junk without giving it a second thought, not worrying about early bed times or early mornings, not planning workouts and having zero commitments for the weekend. Originally I was going to race this weekend, but decided against it - I wanted a weekend where I had nothing to do, no race to prep for and no alarm clock to set.

You would have thought I'd won the freaking Olympics last weekend the way I celebrated this week - we ate out 5 out of the 7 nights and the two nights in I ordered Papa John's one night and ate a family size serving box of Mac & Cheese in one sitting the other night. I also ate my weight in chips and queso, candy corn and swedish fish. While celebration week has come to an end (my bank account and pants are thanking me), I don't regret it at all. Sometimes you just need a break. And, while I'm typically no role model for super healthy eating, this week was over the top for even me. Celebration week was an excuse for me to just eat. And be lazy. And not worry about xyz miles that need to be run at xyz pace the next day. And maybe that's what it is - an excuse - but many athletes spend their lives regulating what they eat and always oh so focused so can you really blame them (me) when such an easy excuse presents itself?

Tomorrow it's pretty much back to business as usual. Alarm clock set for 4:45 am. Reintroducing fruits and veggies back into my life. Speed work. Early bed times. Core work.

It was fun while it lasted.



5 comments:

  1. I wanna come keep you company for the next celebration week, that sounds like a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THOSE are quality food photos. I will also be joining you for your next celebration week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more the merrier!! Sadly I didn't even capture the best meals on camera. Had to be inconspicuous about taking pictures of food at the restaurants. Felt like a giant tool bag doing so. :)

      Delete
  3. Yum, chips and queso :)
    I am glad you took a break...you deserved it!

    ReplyDelete