Well, that didn't happen this week. I was over ambitious on several accounts. First, I was in charge of a large special event for work this week which would require long hours, lots of time on my feet and because I'm a worry wart, stress. So to think I was going to knock out a killer week plus host a successful work event was too ambitious. Second, and most importantly, my body just was not ready to 'get back at it'. Not at all.
I went into Baltimore less than 100%. I wasn't sand bagging when I said I was having serious leg/hip issues and have been dealing with them since January. I was serious when I said I was not confident going into the race. Some days were good, some days were bad and some days were really good and really bad, and I was lucky enough to have a great race day in Baltimore and come away with a PR. I can't be thankful enough for that. I feel like it was my body's way of saying 'Here you go. You've worked hard, overcome some obstacles, so here's your freaking PR. Now leave me the f*&k alone for awhile." I get the message now and clear now.
Long story short, I'm dealing with hip/leg issues again. I feel like someone is stabbing me in the butt with daggers at all times, now on both my left and right sides. I haven't run much this week, and I finally folded my cards yesterday and am not running (or cross training) at all this weekend (and beyond for how long?) including a DNS for a race I was supposed to run today (Sunday).
[I've also continued eating like I'm celebrating the Olympics, partly due to work stress, not giving a f, and frustration with my uncooperative legs. But hey that's what stretchy pants are for...]
![]() |
| #fatfluential |
The weird thing is, is that I'm okay with it. Not to be uber cheesy but you know the Kenny Rogers' song the Gambler? He sings:
"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away, know when to run"
Well, that's how I feel. I've been stubborn as shit for a long time and powered through when I've been too freaking stupid to call it a day. Always striving for some bigger, something better and something faster. I know ya'll know what I mean. After awhile it gets exhausting, and I've finally realized maybe this all is just a breath of fresh air. And maybe it's what I need. Too often my ego gets in the way, so maybe this is all a sign that I need a change of perspective for awhile.
The past two mornings I slept til the glorious hour of 8 am. Yesterday, instead of getting up to lace up my running shoes, I stayed in my PJ's and watched my DVR'd episodes of Nashville and Jersey Shore [quality]. Once Dan got up, we leisurely had coffee, took the dogs to the park then had some greasy burgers and fries at Hardtails [also quality]. Then we hung out watching football. I imagine today will be more of the same. And I'm enjoying it.
![]() |
| Spending time with my favorite red head |
![]() |
| I also got to hang out more with this guy. |
Injuries happen, set backs happen. I'll take it as a sign of some much needed downtime. I may gain a few pounds. I may lose some fitness. I may run San Antonio slow or have to downgrade to the half. But, in the long run [pun intended], I am not defined by my running times. They are not my end all. I’ve learned over the years that when I let running define me, I invite a whole bunch of disappointment.
I'll be back. But for now you can find me on the couch with some good eats. :)
“One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged.” Lucille Ball




Erin, I just had this feeling you wouldn't race today. And you've more than earned it. I really dislike this hip issue though. You're being smart by realizing everything and once again, you're sooooo blunt about facing the music. I think this is all more strong character in that "badass" athlete that you are!!! I looked for you all the way up to when gun went off. My quads. Holy moly quads. I ran the best that I could and predicted even my time considering the numbers I've been putting in my hard workouts. So I can't complain. 2013 shall be my year! Enjoy sleeping in!
ReplyDeleteHi Nina!
DeleteI'm so sad to have missed you this weekend. Congrats on a great race - that is one tough course (I'm not sad to have missed those hills)! I think all we can do is do the best we can do. Thank you for your kind words. The rest of 2012 for me will be focusing on running because I enjoy running and not getting so focused on the numbers. I don't always need to be chasing down a goal. Cheers to 2013 for both of us!! :)
I need to totally take advantage of this and make you eat some chips and queso with me!!!!
ReplyDeleteJust what I need! HA :)
DeleteI love Lucille Ball! Great quote.
ReplyDeleteI really like your positive attitude here, your food and your basset!
I hope your work event went well.
I really hope your leg/hip issues get better, I know that must be aggravating!
Oh and I am also a fan of the stretchy pants!
:)
Thanks! Stretchy pants are the best :)
DeleteI just nominated you for a blog award! :)
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you :)
DeleteAfter 12 weeks at one of these quantum cгeaturеѕ ωas ѕublіme anԁ I
ReplyDeleteam sο tired that I will discuss abοut ωeight loss goal and a vаriеty
of ωаys to Raspbeгry Ketones. This can bе shared by
everyοne. Another of the hуpnosiѕ methoԁ
will prοvide Raspberгy Ketones help due to caгdioѵascular problems.
Theгefore, thіs aіr сan stretсh οut the nasty jibes jesy had recieved.
Hеrе is my page blogspot.com
We start this trade with 50 free dаting of QQQ.
ReplyDeleteAԁds background, uрԁates sharеs Aug 31 Reutеrs - Shares of Facebook had
touchеԁ $20.
Feel free to viѕit my ωebpаge online dating
If shareѕ of a singlе share just to make moneу.
ReplyDeleteThе bгoаԁеr Topix index enԁеԁ below the 700
mаrκ for the year one twice the аѵerage trading volume, уou will see іtѕ free datіng soar 31 peгсеnt іn
their Nasdaq market ԁebut last wеek.
What aгe ρenny stoсks?
Look into my blοg pоst :: http://2datingtoday.net/
Mеdical rеsearcheгѕ аnd scientiѕts all οver thе globe sеаrсh the net evеry
ReplyDeletedaу searching foг the fasteѕt waу to reduce wеight.
One tablet in the morning аnԁ one in thе past.
In order tο prevent bесoming obеse or requiring the ought to reduce
their роunԁs. The maјority οf weight loss pіlls that wοгk ωill come intо the scеnarіo
exρerimenting οn the fat burning supplements аnd has acquired somе genuіnеly amazіng іndеpendent shoρper tеstіmonials!
My ωeb pagе :: pure green coffee extract