This will be my last pre-race blog post as I am outta here on Thursday sans lap top but will be doing some tweeting should anyone care to follow my mis-adventures across the coast (twitter feed is to the right of my blog).
I am still unsure as to how I am going to approach this race, and to be honest it will probably be a last minute decision made after my pre-race warm-up. I can usually get a good feel of how my body is going to cooperate by the way the warm-up goes. Not always, but most of the time.
I really have two options.
1 - I can start out with the 3:10 pace group and try to hang on. In all honesty, I've been under a bit of grand delusion that 7:15 pace is my marathon race pace. To be honest, it will be a pace that is slightly uncomfortable for me. On one hand, I may be able to hang on. I am a strong endurance runner and a lot of times the further I run, the better I feel. On the other hand, starting out too fast in a marathon can spell disaster i.e. major blow up.
2 - There is no 3:15 pace group. The next group is 3:20. So I can try to run between both groups. Keeping the 3:10 group in sight while making sure the 3:20 group isn't too close. I feel like I can comfortably run a 3:15 marathon pace (7:26 min/miles). So, I can try to run the first half at 3:15 pace then try to drop pace the second half. Although there would be a very small chance I would be able to drop pace that much to still hit 3:10. And there's also the chance 7:26 pace is actually more realistic to my current marathon abilities and I might not be able to pick it up at all.
And, maybe I do have a third option -
3- Just run and not over think everything.
I just don't want to leave anything out there and play it too safe, but I also don't want to blow up half way through the race because I've over estimated my abilities.
Anyway, I've signed up for runner tracking so that it auto-feeds my marathon splits (every 10K) to my Twitter account. You can follow me @erinruyle on Twitter to see my progress, or just stop by my blog if you wish and Twitter feeds are to the right. I was a little bit apprehensive about doing this, as I wasn't sure if I really wanted the entire Internet World to see my splits...however, maybe it will light more of a fire under my ass.
Also, FYI, last year apparently the tracking didn't work so (Mom) if you don't see anything come through don't automatically assume I am in a ditch somewhere in Baltimore.
I signed my mom and husband up to receive text message alerts - no need to bombard everyone's else phones with my marathon splits. Sadly my race sherpa will not be traveling with me this time since he's in season with golf, but knowing he's still following me and cheering for virtually will help me out a lot (cheesy, I know).
| Thankful for his confidence in me! |

Have a great race!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Abbi! Good luck with your marathon as well!
DeleteGood luck! I'll be cheering you on from here!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I welcome the cheers and appreciate them!
DeleteYou will do great! And I want you to text me when your done and let me know how you do! Your leg won't fall off :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Rain! I will definitely let you know how I do!
DeleteHave a great race! I'm sure you'll know what to do. I'll be cheering you on from Texas!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Britt! I appreciate the well wishes!
DeleteGood Luck Erin! I'm sure you'll have no problem keeping that pace!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Dlae! I appreciate the vote of confidence. I hope you're right :)
DeleteGood luck! I look forward to reading about it! Remember to have fun (that's always my favorite advice!)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sarah! That is great advice, and I will! The course is very scenic so I will definitely enjoy my tour of Baltimore by foot :)
DeleteGood luck Erin! I will following you! I am going out of town this weekend or I would totally be in Baltimore cheering. You will do great. It's a fun race.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Jessica! I am excited! They've change the course since I last ran it, and I am looking forward to running through the zoo this time :)
DeleteSounds like you could keep the 3:10 group in sight and then out kick 'em all at the end!! Good luck, Erin! I'll find you on Twitter and follow along race day.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ingrid! If I can make that happen, it will be a good day! Hope to see you at another race soon!
DeleteBest advice I ever got: Run as fast as you can and it'll be over sooner.*
ReplyDelete*-Don't do this. Good luck!
That may work for me in a 5k. If I tried that on Saturday, you would find me a in a ditch somewhere Southside of Baltimore. :) Thanks for the good luck wishes!
DeleteI think you're going to have a great race! The weather should be nice and you get to run through the zoo, how fun is that? :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
I'm really excited to run through the zoo! Last time I ran Bmore, we didn't get to go through the zoo. :)
DeleteGood luck Erin! Kick some asphalt (cheesy, but that one never gets old to me). You're gonna rock it.
ReplyDeleteNot cheesy at all - one of my favorites! Thank you for the good luck wishes!
DeleteI would wish you luck Erin, but you and I know - luck pretty much doesn't have anything to do with it at this point. Just go out, settle in early and run your race. I know better than to tell you to leave the watch at home, but I do think you should run that first half "comfortably hard" - just enough so you know you are working a bit and then when you get into the high teens, dig in and battle. That 3:10 is in you Erin, maybe not this Saturday as you've battled a lot of variables and injuries this year - but that potential is there. Do just enough early to give yourself a chance.
DeleteVery few people run the late miles tougher than you do. Knock 'em dead on Saturday.
Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the good advice! I'm ready to go do work - no use leaving anything on the course at this point!
DeleteErin-
ReplyDeleteI know I already told you this Thursday at run group- but have fun! I know already you will do awesome! I read the comment above about the zoo. That is so cool!
Thank you! I am getting excited! See you next week at run group - have a great weekend :)
DeleteHave a great race, get after it, and most important, have fun up there. Can't wait to hear all about it.
ReplyDeleteGo Erin Go!!!! We are all rooting for you!! :) Meredith
ReplyDelete