This will be my 5th straight year running the full, and Dan's 5th year of running the half. And, in true San Antonio fashion, the weather forecast predicts another scorcher for Sunday (much like last year) with temps in the 80's with a chance of storms, wind, and of course, high humidity. We've had nice weather ONCE in the 5 years I've ran, so I would expect nothing less than warm & humid.
![]() |
| I love that the cold front comes through literally the next day. |
I've been asked several times if I am racing this race or running it just for fun. My answer is yes to both. Yes, I am racing and yes, I am running for fun. I will admit however, my definition of running for fun is probably different from most. Running for fun, for me, means getting out there and racing the best I can be that day. Giving it my all. I would be lying if I told you I was going to go out there and enjoy a leisurely stroll through San Antonio - that's just NOT me. It's not how I'm wired. It will not happen. And, believe it or not, I actually enjoy running marathons and pushing myself to the point of pure exhaustion. That is fun for me (which may make me a sick individual but so be it).
As far as my game plan, I will employ the same strategy I used last Saturday when I raced the 5k and that is to race without my Garmin (or watch of any kind) and run by feel. Though I did wear a watch in Baltimore, I didn't look at it much as I just hung with the pacers step for step. Unfortunately, San Antonio doesn't offer pace groups faster than 3:30 (boooo!) so I am on my own. I will run whatever pace my legs dictate to be "comfortably hard."
Time goals? I don't really have any. I am not gunning for a PR, but I would like to run a strong and solid race for me... so around a 3:15ish? I've typically run well at this race, and by now I know the course like the back of my hand so there won't be many surprises. My biggest challenge in this race is onset loneliness after about Mile 11. Once we split off from the half marathon runners, the crowd really spreads thin and every year I have found myself running completely alone. The back half of the course lacks many spectators, or much scenery for that matter, so it becomes more of a mental battle for me to hang tough and not slow down.
If you're bored and want to track me, you can do so at http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-antonio. My race # is 1017 and they should have live updates on their web site. Otherwise, I'll post my results on Twitter after the race.
Happy Running!


Good luck this weekend!!! I remember running this last year and the weather was BRUTAL! Holy humidity! But that's Texas for you. I actually remember seeing you whiz past me in the last 2 miles....
ReplyDeleteI love your strategy of running without a watch and having fun, that sounds like a good race plan to me!
Thanks, Lauren! Texas weather is crazy - 80 degrees in November just doesn't seem right! But, I guess it's better than all the snow they are getting in the Northeast. :)
DeleteThat column on the right won't be that much fun either if you get gusts like we're supposed to up here (35-40 mph). Good luck!
ReplyDeleteUnless it's a tail wind, I don't want any (I'm now having flashbacks from the wind at Austin 2011 Marathon). Thanks for the good luck wishes!
DeleteI hope you have a great weekend out of town :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rain! I'm looking forward to it!
DeleteGood luck! Rockn Roll races are fun. Gotta love Texas weather, we are supposed to have 30-40 mph winds up here in Dallas on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThank you- I'm looking forward to it! Please keep those crazy winds up your way until after Sunday :)
DeleteHave fun Erin!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love your picture comments! Everytime they crack me up!
Thanks, Jamie! :)Missed you at run group this week! Hope to see you next week!
Delete