Monday, November 12, 2012

San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon: What a Day

Yesterday was a day that I will never forget. I will write a full race report later, but here's a quick recap. I am still in shock and disbelief. I am proud and my eyes well up with tears when I recount everything that happened yesterday. All this is not because I PR'd - because I didn't. It wasn't a PR day for anyone. In fact, I ran a 3:15. The woman who won is a sub 3 hour marathoner and ran a 3:06. It was that kind of day. The day where mental strength was just as important- if not more - than physical strength. I dug deep out there yesterday. I was a cart horse who never gave up. And that is what I am most proud of.

I was the second place female at the Rock & Roll Marathon in San Antonio. I had a bike escort (once I moved into third place). I stood on a podium in front of thousands of people with some tremendous athletes and had my name announced while receiving flowers and a large plaque. I won prize money ($500!!). I was granted VIP access post-race and had a couple ask to have their picture taken with me. For a little peon like me from Georgetown, Texas, this was a dream come true.

I wasn't expecting yesterday to turn out as it did. In fact, had the weather been nice I would not have placed as high. To be honest, I beat some athletes who are legitimately faster than I but either pulled out due to the heat or fell way off pace. But that doesn't make my finish any less meaningful. I earned it. It was hot, it was humid and it was windy. The combo of sun and wind would be the factor that took many down on the back half of the course. I was in 5th place going into Mile 15, and ran my way into second place by Mile 18. From there, I just hung on. I never blew up; I just ran consistent. Lucky for me, as Dan reminded me, I am just a better bad weather runner than most which I was able to use to my advantage yesterday.
The podium!!





Post race celebration on the River Walk!
A big thank you to everyone for their congratulatory texts, tweets, Facebook messages etc. I read and re-read each and every one and they truly meant a lot. Also a big thank you and congratulations to my husband Dan who ran the half yesterday in under 2 hours. I am so proud of him - this was his 11th half marathon in just a 5 year span. Not bad for a golf coach ;)

Marathon #20 in the freaking books. #21 up ahead in 3 weeks. Here we go.

24 comments:

  1. wow. Just...wow. I can't come up with anything more clever or meaningful, at the moment.
    Can't wait to read the full recap.
    Congratulations!
    (ps : former lurker. Found your blog a couple weeks ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the congratulatory wishes! And for reading :) Have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh Erin this is awesome!!! I don't know how I missed this yesterday on twitter but wow! Congratulations! I am so happy for you - you have worked so hard and you totally deserve this. :) Enjoy your victory and your prize :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lauren! I was super excited :) Keep up the good work with your marathon training - not too much longer until race day. You're going to do great!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica! I really appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  4. ^ What she said. You are on a roll! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it, Brian! After a faltering start to 2012, it feels good to have have some strong races under my belt!

      Delete
  5. This is so awesome Erin! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meredith! It was a nice surprise!

      Delete
  6. This is so awesome! I love that podium pic! What a great accomplishment Erin!! And congrats to Dan too! How cool it must have been to have a bike escort! Man! Big Timer!!
    There's not enough exclamation points for how exciting that is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love exclamation points :) Thank you for sharing in my enthusiasm! It's due largely in part to you guys at run group that I ran well. Your constant support inspires me!

      Delete
  7. Daaaaaaaaamn (Smokey from Friday reference). Great job! You definitely earned it. Way to kick it in at Mile 15. That's usually when it starts to really get painful. Looking fwd to the full recap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jason! The pain was totally worth it (easy to say now ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow, that is SO cool! I feel famous by connection now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! :) Thank you, Kara! Hope you guys re doing well!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Congrats!!! That sounds like an amazing experience! You work so hard and totally deserve all of the amazing perks you got yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I was so humbled by all of the fantastic perks! I would have been happy with just the title of second place so everything else was icing on the cake :)

      Delete
  10. SO AWESOME! Congratulations, Erin! You totally deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom! Thank you for your nice words! We missed you in SA this year. You didn't miss much though - pretty much deja vu from last year as far as weather. Hope you are well!

      Delete
  11. That's AWESOME!!! I love these pictures. Congratulations, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ingrid!! Hope you are doing well! We should meet up for a run sometime soon!

      Delete
  12. Yay Dan! That's a very respectable time!

    I am so glad you had a good race! How cool that you won some $$$ too!!!

    ReplyDelete