Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Inbetween

Well, it's been about a week and a half since the San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon, and I am feeling pretty much back to normal and have turned focus forward to the BCS Marathon on December 9.

Lucky for my pants, I didn't really treat myself to another celebration week like I did after Baltimore (minus a few big Mexican meals and margaritas of course) and was back running 5 days last week.
Chips, salsa, bean dip, Gloria's margarita = happiness.
I'm in the weird stage where I am trying to recover from two marathons while staying fit enough to run the third one well and still have time for a mini-taper. Throw in the holidays, company, and planning for a work special event the day before my next marathon and things get tricky. So pretty much I am trying to do what I did after Baltimore - 2 weeks of lower mileage, 1 week of high mileage and 1 week of a mini taper on race week. I'm not following a set plan but instead just have an idea of the type of workout I want to do each day and adjust if necessary. I have the base to get the job done on December 9th, the question is just how fast?

When I signed up for 3 marathons in 3 months, I did so in case I did not hit my sub-3:10 goal in Baltimore. San Antonio was Plan B, and I signed up for BCS as Plan C. What I didn't really think about was what happened if I hit my goal in Baltimore. I suppose most normal people would treat the other two as "victory laps" and run for fun, but unfortunately we all now I am not wired that way so on December 9 I will set out again to see how fast these legs can run. I really don't have anything to lose, so if it all blows up in my face, well then I can just enjoy the beer post-race. :-)

As much as I am looking forward to this marathon - because I do love running marathons and have heard particularly great things about this particular one - I am also looking forward to taking a little break for the remainder of 2012 after this race is over. Some downtime is in order before I start training (in mid-January) for my next A race, which is the Eugene Marathon in April.

Until then I'll keep hammering away in hopes of some more marathon magic in a few weeks...

Happy Thanksgiving!


5 comments:

  1. Dang girl you are on fire! 3 marathons in 3 months is incredible! You deserve a victory lap, even if it is a fast one! ;) I'll be thinking about you drinking your post-race beer when I'm at about mile 16 of my marathon haha. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well, Lauren! I really think you will surprise yourself with how well you on Dec 9 - you've put in all of the hard work and the marathon will be your reward :) You are ready!

      Delete
  2. You're not just running 3 marathons, you're running them with such great times! I envy you!!! You need to teach me to be faster.

    I'm constantly using excuses, like, "Oh, it's okay if I run this one slow. I just ran so and so...". Terrible.

    Good luck and can't wait to read all about it.

    PS We love Mexican food in our house. My husband can have it every night if I let him. Pshhh... I don't allow it because his only workout is getting up to look for the remote control. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your husband and mine must be kindred spirits :) My husband would totally wat Mexican food every night (and did before we got married). And I hear you on the remote control.. :)

      Thank you for the good luck wishes!! :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm picking him a burrito for dinner tonight -- I thought I had to share this with you.

      Delete