Tuesday, August 4, 2009

an open letter to my iron sherpa.

Dear Daniel (my Iron Sherpa):

Two (2!) years ago this was us!

we clean up pretty nice, I'd say.

and while I could go on [and on and on and on and on] about how wonderful you are in all aspects of my [and our] life(ves), I'll keep this tri / running related. [um, and let's be honest... most of my life right now IS tri related!]

You traveled across the country to San Diego with me to watch me "race" my second marathon ever, the San Diego Marathon, in June of 2005. And you never told me that I had absolutely no business being there, although we both knew that was the truth.

You were there with me at my first triathlon to support and cheer me on (Longhorn, Oct. 07). This was before I had any idea that wearing bagging shorts over a swimsuit would only create drag.


You had faith in me and were waiting at the finish line of my third marathon [San Antonio, Nov. 2008) as I qualified for the Boston Marathon.




You cheered me on for over 6 hours in the hot sun while I competed in my first half-Ironman [Longhorn, Oct. 2008] while carrying my pink transition bag the entire time. And you did it again in June for Buffalo Springs Half-Ironman without complaining once.



You traveled across the country with me again, this time to watch me run in the Boston Marathon. and you didn't even get mad when the guy taking the picture thought you were my dad.
anyone who knows me knows how much I value your support. you are my chauffeur, photographer, cheerleader. you [rarely] complain about how much money I've spent on gear, clothes, and races. you listen to me babble on about my training schedule and my bike and my nutrition plan. you commiserate with me when I have a bad training session and celebrate with me when I have a good one. you know the exact distances of an Ironman and have never once complain about ending our nights at 8 pm so I can go to sleep early.


simply put,
I could not train or race without you
.
or, maybe I could, but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.
looking forward to this journey - Ironman - and seeing you, my iron sherpa, at the finish line at C'ouer D'Alene, beer(s) in hand, and knowing that I could not be there without you.

[happy anniversary]
[oh, and proof that we have a photo together where I'm not wearing spandex]
all my love,wifey.

No comments:

Post a Comment