Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It's Marathon Time!

We have been told time and again we were born to success, but a truly run marathon convinces us of that truth. – George Sheehan


This quote of the day was delivered into my Inbox this morning and reminded me that it’s Marathon time again! Marathon #14 – the Big D marathon – in Dallas is this Sunday. I haven’t thought a whole lot about this race up to this point. I signed up for it a few months ago as a tune-up for San Diego and because it’s a solid, affordable race. Since it’s a tune-up for my A race (San Diego) my plan isn’t to race it, but use it was a supported long run. However, Dan called me out on my inability to run without racing. I must give him credit for this diagnosis, as it’s true.


This marathon will be a little different for me than most. I’m traveling to Dallas solo (my race Sherpa has to work so can’t make the trip. L ). I only know one other person racing so for the most part I’ll be out there alone without familiar faces on the course. I don’t have a problem with this, it will just be different.


I’m also managing my expectations regarding this race- this is not a huge profit-making conglomerate like Rock N Roll. There are no pace leaders, low levels of spectator support from what I’ve heard, no energy gels on course. No clocks at the Mile Markers. No frills. It appears there is about 4,600 in this race, spread about 1000 in full, 2800 in half, 800 in 5K. From the course elevation posted on-line it appears there is a good amount of hills in the second half but nothing unreasonable - nice rolling ones. It looks like the marathoners and half-marathoners split off pretty early in the course (Mile 4) and then re-convene the last few miles (potential CLUSTER-F). There is a good chance I will be running alone for most of this race.


Since this is not a wave start, I need to make sure I start as close to the front as possible (Aside: The race website says even though there was chip timing, age group awards would be determined by gun/clock time. Anyone concerned with the awards should start in the first 20 rows. I’m always concerned with awards J.)


The race doesn’t start until 8:00 am, which is a pretty late start for an April Marathon in Texas. I’m not sure why they don’t start the marathon at 7:00 am. I’m sure it will be warm and humid. Currently the weather forecast has a 30% chance of thunderstorms (please, rain gods, NO!). I plan to start out conservatively and not repeat the mistakes I made at Austin. I’m gunning more for a solid race with a high finish, rather than a racing the clock for a PR time. Looking at the past results from this race, my goal is a top three place among women. If I can run a solid 3:15 that should do it.


First 5 miles, I will relax and loosen up, the next 10 miles, I will press it a little and get my overall pace down, and the final 11.2 miles I will finish with whatever I have left.


You won’t be able to track me on-line on Sunday, but I’ll be posting results as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment