Thursday, April 14, 2011

Marathon Recovery

Recovery from Sunday's marathon is going meh....okay. I'm still pretty sore and tired despite going to bed close to 8:30 pm every night this week. I've cut down on mileage/intensity this week and doubt I'll make it to 30 miles this week. Which is okay because I'm trying to listen to my body when it tells me "No Way Jose." Which after this morning's workout (the 100 wall squats we did at run group probably did not help the cause), my mind is saying 'run' and my body is saying 'no.'

So, no running tomorrow or Saturday. I'll do some cross training in the pool on Friday, and Saturday I have to work so that will make it easy not to work out. Sunday I have a local 5k. I've been on the fence all week about whether or not I'm going to run this, even though I've already signed up. If you know me, you know there is no 'running without racing' for me. I'm either going to go out there and race it, or I'm not going to run at all. That's just how I am.

I put a lot of pressure on myself, a character flaw of mine. This is a local race, which starts a few miles down the road. It's a City-sponsored race, and I'm employed by the City. I have several co-workers running, as well as lots of friends from running group participating. I feel like everyone excepts me to win it (first female) or post a certain time (below 20 min). With this in mind, I'll go out there and run balls to the wall. If I don't perform well, I'll be disappointed in myself. If I push it too hard, and my legs aren't ready for that, then it's a setback in my recovery. So, we'll see. I'll see how my legs feel after 2 days of rest, and make up my mind Saturday evening.

In the big picture, I know it's just a silly 5K that no one really cares about. I know this. But sometimes my pride gets in the way. If only I wasn't such a Type A!!

No comments:

Post a Comment