Monday, April 18, 2011

Red Poppy 5k and a New PR

So, after much deliberation, I ended up running in the Red Poppy 5k on Sunday morning...and, I ran a Personal Best time of 19:39! I have no idea how that happened (seriously, no idea), but I'll take it! I ended up as the first female and 5th overall.

Even though I was signed up, it was a last minute decision to actually go ahead and race. On Saturday my legs felt like lead bricks, and I waffled back and forth on whether I should run or
not. I wasn't feeling confident that I would be able to break 20 minutes, much less PR. In the end, I decided to run. I knew I would see lots of familiar and friendly faces at the race, and it's not often that I get the opportunity to do a race that's literally less than 2 miles from home.

Race morning I covered myself in Icy Hot and just told myself to go out there and give it the best effort I had in me. I warmed up from home, and even on the warm-up, my legs didn't feel like
they had much spring in their step. Did some stretching, lined up at the start, wished good luck to friends and waited for the start gun to blow.

And, when it did, off I went. I came through Mile 1 at 6:21, and felt surprisingly comfortable. But, as the case in most 5k's for me, the ball usually drops the next two miles and I bonk. Not this time. Mile 2 was 6:13, and I was feeling great. What the heck? I knew I was on pace for a sub-20 and possibly a PR if I could just hang on. I knew there was a big hill right at the end of
the race, but I run that hill several times a week so I was prepared. I stayed steady the last mile, passing two high school male runners in front of me. When I made it to the base of the hill, finish line in sight, my friend Mick jumped in and paced me up the hill. I crossed the line and looked at the clock - 19:39, good for a 6:18 average pace!

Needless to say, I'm very glad I raced. I'm not going to lie though - after 5 straight weekends of races, I'm looking forward to having the next 3 weekends off from racing. I'll be back
at the starting line ready to race on May 15 for a 30K trail run!

Awards Ceremony!
Receiving my award - $50 gift card to Run Tex, a shirt and socks! Score!
No, I don't run with my hands like this. :) I'm waving to friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment