Monday, June 13, 2011

Don't Call it a Comeback. Not Yet.

With my first triathlon of the season this Sunday and my bike sitting in the garage collecting dust since October, starting this past weekend I vowed to stop being unmotivated and lazy with my cycling and get back on my bike.

I'll try to be as structured as possible, but my only hope is to get back to cycling at least twice per week. I need to stop making excuses and end this rut I've been in with cycling. So for this past weekend my goal was to get back on my bike for at least 20 miles both Saturday and Sunday.

Only 20 miles. I've done an Ironman and countless long rides, so 20 miles will be a piece of cake, right? Huh. Not so much. I rode 22 on Saturday, and 28 on Sunday, and I am sore. While I was pleased that my pace on the bike was not as abysmal as I expected, I need a lot of work getting comfortable in the saddle again. After about 20 miles, my butt started to hurt, and I was getting pretty uncomfortable. Funny how a 28 mile ride now feels like a 75 mile ride. Guess that's what happens when you don't cycle for 6 months.

I was sufficiently tired from my first weekend back, but you have to start somewhere. I think I'm going to sign up for the Kerrville Half-Ironman in October for some motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment