I had big plans this past weekend for training, and I'm happy to say I actually followed through with them.
This past week was the beginning of a new training cycle for me - prep for a half-ironman in October and the JFK 50-miler in November (fingers crossed that I get in - registration opens FRIDAY!). I went back and forth on the best way to train for both events at once, and think I have come up with a plan that will work for me. All of the 50-mile training plans I looked at had back-to-back long runs on the weekend. Unfortunately, I need to be putting in a long ride on Saturdays in prep for the half-ironman, and unless I quit my job, there really isn't another day in the week that I could fit it in. I thought about doing my long ride Saturday and then back-to-back long runs Sunday and Monday, but then decided that would be overdoing it. In the end, I decided I would use a similar approach to how I trained for my Ironman. Saturdays will my a long brick workout (40+ mile ride, followed by a 6+ mile run), and then Sundays will be my long run days. I figure time on my feet is time on my feet - whether it's running or biking. I am not looking to break records at either of these events, so I think this plan will work the best for me.
Anyway - back to the weekend. Dan would like for me to let everyone know that I am super cool and went to bed before 9 pm both Friday and Saturday nights. Guess I wasn't much of a fun date. However, I did pop out of bed at 6 am both mornings, which meant I got my workouts out of the way before it got unbearably hot.
Saturday my goal was to ride 40 miles, run 5. I didn't have anyone to ride with this weekend, so I headed out to Lake Pflugerville to ride solo. I rode 3 x 14 mile loops of the Lake P tri course. And while doing 3 loops solo is BORING, I wanted a route without any stoplights so I could minimize my stops on the bike. I stopped once after loop 2 to use the rest room, and that was it. This was my longest ride since October, and while my butt started hurting on the last loop, I made it. I ended up with 42 miles total on the bike. After my ride, I ran 2 x 3 mile loops around the lake for a total of 6 miles. I was home before Noon and then went to see Bridesmaid's with Dan (funny movie by the way).
Sunday was my long run. I planned for 16 miles - an out and back route from my house to Berry Creek. I like this route because there is a small park at the turn around where I can use the rest room, get water and take my Gu. Again, I got an early start so beat the oppressive heat that would come later in the day. This ended up being a really strong run for me. I ran comfortably and ended up with 16 miles at an 8:12 pace. Much faster than I expected. I swear the biking is helping my running.
I was pretty cooked after my run. I had thought about trying to get in an open water swim after my run, but immediately dismissed it. Instead, I took a shower, put my PJ's back on, and laid on the couch for 4 hours watching reality tv with my dogs while Dan was golfing.
It ended up being a pretty good training week for me. I missed a ride (Thursday night) but other than that hit all of my workouts and ended up with 6 runs, 3 swims (2 open water) and 2 rides. I really need to get at least one more ride (or a spin class) in during the week, but this is a good start. If only I could take afternoon naps at my desk...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wanted to ask you. Have you ever ran on the up and down hilly road on the way to the "beach" area at Georgetown Lake? We drove out that way a couple of weeks back and I thought it would be a good challenging run. I don't even know the name of the road...do you?? Nice training by the way!
ReplyDeleteI haven't - but there are definitely some good hills out there. I've run the San Park trail out to the dam on top of Lake Georgetown and there is one nasty hill on the way up there, but haven't been out on the other road (I don't know the name either, darn it). Great idea for training!
ReplyDelete