I don't know about you, but I'm glad it's almost Friday. This has been my first full week back in the office in about a month between company visiting, weddings, vacations and traveling for work conferences. It's been a bit of an adjustment as I keep thinking every day is Friday. This is the time of year when I always envy my teacher friends who have the summer off, and my husband who can pretty much set him own schedule in the summer.
Anyway, I have a weekend of racing coming up - 5k on Saturday and a sprint triathlon on Sunday. I couldn't decide between the two, so I decided to do them both. That should surprise no one. Ha!
Saturday is the Holland Corn Festival 5k, where I will return to defend my title as Corn Queen. Holland is a small town about 20 minutes North of Georgetown. The 5k is part of their Annual Corn Festival, and the 5k is known for their unique 'corn people' trophies. It's hard to put in words how freakin' cool these trophies are so let's hope I win one so I can show you all on Monday. The festival itself is about as redneck as they come, but the 5k is a lot of fun. There are two other guys I know through Daily Mile who are running so it will be a fun meet-up even though they will smoke me like nobody's business.
I don't really have a goal for this race. I'd like to win (first female), but you never know who will show up. I don't feel like I'm in great 5k shape right now since I've been doing so much long stuff, but I think I can come in right around 20 minutes. We'll see.
Sunday is my first triathlon of the season: the Lake Pflugerville Triathlon. It's always been one of my favorites because it's close to home, small and low maintenance (you don't have to rack your bike the day before). Usually this time of year I've had at least one or two triathlons under my belt. Unfortunately, I decided to start my triathlon training last Saturday, so I'm thinking it's not going to be very pretty.
I'm trying to be realistic about my expectations for Sunday. First of all, we all know I am not a triathlon rockstar. Second of all, we all know that I have none of the qualities required to become a triathlon rockstar. So why not just go out, do my best and have fun?
Last year I had a great race (for me) at Pflugerville. I was one week out from Ironman C'ouer D'Alene and in fantastic triathlon shape. I looked up my results from 2010, and quickly realized it would take a miracle to come close to hitting those this year.
2010 Results:
500m swim - 11:08/2:14 pace <---this is my best 500m swim time ever. And, yes I know it's slow. Considering the two open water swims I've had this week, I'll be lucky to come within 2 min of this time.
14 mile bike - 43:17/19.4 mph <---I'll be happy if I can average 18 mph on the bike. I just haven't put in the saddle time necessary for a fast bike split. I rode the course pretty hard last night and only averaged 17.8. If I can average over 18 mph race day, I'll be ecstatic.
3 mile run - 19:24/6:28 pace <---I can probably come close to this. Don't think I can go any faster. Hopefully I won't go too much slower.
Total Time: 1:17:04<---No way, Jose. My time in 2009 was 1:23:54. Something close to my 2009 time is what I'm likely looking at this weekend.
Luckily, since it's only my first triathlon of the season, I can only go up from here, right? And, if I do really poorly, I'll just blame it on the fact that I ran a 5k the day before. Yep, my bases are covered. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I want to see the trophy!! Wish I could come up to the race Saturday, but my husband is working :( Not that I could beat 20 minutes!! Hope you win it! And good luck Sunday too!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! It's a fun little race! If you're ever interested in driving up from Austin, we've have some good races in Georgetown. There's one 4th of July that's relatively small (175-200 people) but well-organized on a good course. http://www.runtex.com/web/2-3682.asp
ReplyDeleteI live in Florence, so very close to Georgetown! I ran the Red Poppy, and was going to run Cupid's Chase but it was cancelled. That one on the 4th sounds fun! On the 9th I am running the Hardest 10k in Texas in Lampasas.
ReplyDeleteOh I am going to start coming to some of the training sessions at Run Tex.
ReplyDeleteVery cool that you live in Florence! You should definitely come out to the Run Tex groups - they are great. I go to the Tuesday/Thursday 5:45 am groups, but they also have Mon/Wed evening at 6 pm if you prefer running in the evening. I ran Red Poppy too - small world! I am actually the race director for Cupid's Chase...the higher ups made me cancel it due to ice (even though it was perfect the next day)...I was not happy!
ReplyDeleteI think I might do the early morning workouts since it's still 100 at 6pm! We will see what I can work in to my schedule. I am starting to train for my first 1/2 marathon so I need to start doing some different types of workouts. Hope to see you there, and look fwd to seeing your corn trophy :)
ReplyDelete