Thursday, July 7, 2011

New Ride

I finally broke down and bought a tri bike.

My new ride. Ain't she purty? And, no matter what Dan says, I did not buy this bike just because it is pink.So, it's a Quintana Roo Chicqilo Tri Bike...I currently have a Quattro Assi road bike that I bought used a few years ago from Dan's co-workers wife who is a professional cyclist. I've been perfectly happy with my road bike (and will still keep it to ride), but had the opportunity to get a really good deal on a very slightly used triathlon bike from a friend. I've heard lots of arguments for the use of road bikes vs. tri bikes for the sport of triathlon but didn't want to spend several thousand dollars on a tri bike when my road bike was just fine for me. I also didn't really understand the differences between the two types of bikes.

Simply stated from here:

A triathlon bike is specifically designed to be ridden comfortably and efficiently in the aerodynamic position using elbow-rest style aero handlebars. Triathlon geometry bikes facilitate the transition from cycling to running better than road geometry bikes.

Using aero handlebars on a triathlon geometry bike provides two benefits:

1. Improved aerodynamics with better comfort/efficiency.

2. Easier transitions from bike to run.


Aero handlebars allow the rider to sit lower on the bike and with a narrower, more aerodynamic upper body cross section. As viewed from the front, the rider’s body is narrower than having the arms spread out to normal drop handlebars. The rider’s upper body is supported by the skeleton while using aero bars (resting on the elbows), while on the standard road, drop handlebars a rider must rely on the use of upper body muscles to support their body and maintain the riding posture. Visualize the difference between leaning on a counter with your elbows (easier) and supporting your torso over the counter in a kind of “half push-up” posture (harder).


I've had the tri bike in my possession this week to test ride it, and let me tell you, this is going to require some getting used to. The speed shifters (or whatever they are called) are on the aerobars and the brakes on the regular handles so you have to let go of the handle bars quite often. Freaky.


BUT, that thing goes FAST! It wants to go straight. I would say that for the same effort, I was going noticeably faster in my test rides. I definitely need some practice on it before I'm ready to race with it or take it out for longer rides, though.


Dan told me that this is his Anniversary present to me. Some women get diamonds, I get a pink bike. I wouldn't have it any other way :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that it's pink! Bike riding seems so confusing...But I do know that usually better gear can help you in a lot of different sports, and if it makes you faster all the better! Seems like the best kind of anniversary present to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Biking is confusing! I'm still not a very strong rider and haven't figured out to use my gears properly or ride very efficiently. Yeah, it's crazy how much $ you can spend on bikes to get faster. Both of my bikes I gotten really good deals on...I just couldn't drop a few grand on a bike unless I could ride like Lance Armstrong :)

    ReplyDelete