Thursday, October 6, 2011

See Jane Run Half-Marathon

I’m running the See Jane Run Half-Marathon this weekend in Austin. Originally, I did not intend to sign up for this race, but I got a super-cheap-to-hard-to-resist deal on Facebook Deals for the race entry, so being the sucker I am for deals, I signed up. This is an all-women’s race. I’m not a big fan of all-women’s races. I guess I should be honest and state I’ve only done one – the Danskin Triathlon. I hated it. I totally get and respect their purpose, though. I would highly encourage them for new runners and they are generally very encouraging, uplifting, and provide a less intense atmosphere. I guess my issue is that they are a little too ‘fufu’ for me – particularly races like the Princess Half and Tinkerbell Half put on by Disney. The See Jane Half has chocolate and champagne at the end – to be honest, I’d rather have pizza and beer. And, I like to race against men. I thrive on the intensity. But, I think that’s the tomboy in me.

Anyway, I hadn’t planned on ‘racing’ this race, but instead had planned to use it as a training run (after a long run on Saturday, of course).

But then two things happened.

One, I am super tired this week. Dan would probably like to add ‘grumpy’ to that description. I think the combination of last week/weekend’s volume, tough speed work sessions this week post-race, 50 miler training in general, work being busy, doggy drama (and the list goes on…whine) has taken it out of me. I had been toying with resting completely Saturday before the race on Sunday, and after a tough workout this morning which left me spent, it was confirmed. I will not do a long run this Saturday. Instead I will sleep in for the first time in forever (which, let’s be honest, this will probably mean I sleep until 7 am tops) and just go for an easy swim and maybe (?) a short shake out run. I was already planning to cross train tomorrow, so that will mean two days (gasp!) without any running miles. My legs won’t know what to do with themselves. But, it was time to take a break this week.

The second factor influencing my decision to cool it the next two days is because I found out that the race was giving away shoes to the top three overall women AND the age group winners. I’m a big fan of winning free stuff. Especially when it’s free running shoes. I’m not saying I am going to win anything, but I think I have a decent chance of doing so. To be honest, I’d also like to see what I could run a half-marathon in right now.

So, that’s the plan. Now I just need to stick to it.

Flash's eyes say it all: She's tired - stay far, far away!!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Erin. Tough, but smart decision. I have had kind of an unplanned break too this week. My cat bit me as I was giving her a pill and it got infected. I had a red streak running up my arm yesterday morning and was checked into the hospital yesterday afternoon. I am still here and going a little nuts but my body really needed a break to be honest. I am embracing the forced rest and recovery. Ha.

    Good luck in the race and kick butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! I'm sorry to hear that, Jessica. I hope you are okay!

    Rest is definitely a hard thing sometimes. For me, it's a feeling of guilt - like I'll feel guilty for not doing a long run on Saturday or for running under 50 miles this week, etc. But, I know it's the best thing to do. Your body can only take so much, so it's smart to listen to it (even though it's hard)!

    Enjoy your rest as well :)

    ReplyDelete