For the first time in I can't remember when, I had a lazy Saturday. I did not run. I slept past 8 am. I honestly can't remember the last time when either of those things happened. After JFK, I am going to make sure these two things happen more often. I realized how productive one can actually be in a Saturday when you don't run for 5 hours, which in turns leaves you (me) tired and worthless for the rest of the day. Anyway, I slept in. Went to a nice breakfast with Dan (Austin peeps, we went to Cafe Java in Round Rock - I highly reccomend it), cleaned my car, went to the grocery store, cleaned the house, took the dogs to the park...all before Noon. I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and resting for Sunday's race.
Sunday's race was the Run for the Water 10 miler, which is race #2 in the Austin Distance Challenge and also served this year as the RRCA State 10 Mile Championships, making it a money race. This race is notoriously hilly, but it's actually one of my favorite courses, and this was the 4th year that I've run it. I was actually pretty "meh" about this race this year. One, it started at 7 am in downtown Austin, which meant a 4:30 am wake up call. Second, I was still so freaking tired from work last week that I thought about skipping the race, sleeping in and running on my own. My nutrition had also been absolutely horrible this week, and I was pretty sure that Friday nights dinner of fried mushrooms, nachos, wings and beer wasn't the best choice (especially since I had Freebirds for lunch). But, my registration fee was paid, and so I raced it. I wasn't sure what I was going to bring to the table yesterday. Last year, I had PR'd on this course with a 1:09:18, and I hoped I could come somewhat close to that time.
Somehow, I managed to knock out a good race. Probably 99% due to the fact that I rested on Saturday and only ran a few easy miles on Friday. And, because when you are used to running a zillion miles on the weekends, 10 miles sure does seem short. I ended up finishing in 11th place among women out of 765 (women), just 4 seconds shy of 10th place (of course). But, if Desiree Ficker is taking 5th at this race, then I'll gladly take 11th place and be proud of it. My Garmin stats: 10.08 miles/1:07:49/6:43 pace; Official results: 10 miles/1:07:49/6:46 pace.
Last week ended up being my lowest week of mileage in awhile, but it was also one of my highest intensity weeks in awhile with hard speed workouts Tues/Thurs and then a 10 mile race on Sunday. One mistake I've made with 50 mile training is too much speed work. I kept it in my training plan because 2 months after JFK, I'm running the Rock & Roll Phoenix Marathon, in which I was hoping to PR. But, I've realized I've been putting too much emphasis on the speed work. The volume of training I am doing coupled with the high intensity of some of my workouts just isn't leaving me much time at all to recover. So, this will be my last week of speed work until the 50 miler. I'll still go to the Tues/Thurs RunTex workouts, but take it down several notches (run group friends, please hold me to this).
Anyway, last week:
Monday - 7.11 mile recovery, 35 minutes core work
Tuesday - 9.78 miles - Run Group - Hills, Lunch Swim 2,000yds
Wednesday - 5 miles easy, Lunch Swim 2,000yds
Thursday - 10.11 miles - Run group - 800's, 200's, hills
Friday - 4 easy
Saturday - REST
Sunday - 3 mile warm up, 10 mile race
Total Running Miles - 49
I hope everyone has a safe and fun Halloween! If you live in the area and are trick or treating, swing on by. We'll be the ones sitting on our front porch with our two bassets dressed in costume (much to my husband's dismay) passing out candy. Also, Happy Birthday to my Mom (hi Mom!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congrats on another great race and for taking the lazy day on Saturday!! Sounds like you definitely needed it and while it doesn't sound like your schedule is really winding down after JFK, hopefully you can squeeze in a few more! You'll have to post a picture of bassets in costume! I have costumes for my guys but they usually just try to pull each other's off and it never lasts long!
ReplyDeleteHow are you approaching the taper for JFK? I'm not really down with my training plan suggested taper. I'm thinking of shortening my long runs but keeping the week day runs the same, but I don't want to screw myself over. I also don't want to run like 30 miles a week and be stiff for JFK.
ReplyDeleteI want to see pics of the dogs too! You did great at the race Erin! So exciting to PR and it was such a perfect day/morning for a race. I am so excited for you that JFK is so close!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely post pictures of the bassets :). They hate their costumes, so we're lucky to get 30 min max out of them in costume!
ReplyDeleteKara - I will pretty much be keeping my weekday runs the same (but less intensity) and shortening my weekend runs. I've never been a big fan of taper, as it usually does leave me feeling stiff and heavy legged. The week of the race I'll rest Monday, 6 Tuesday, 5 Wednesday, 3 Thursday and rest Friday. Hope this helps!